Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Captain Yak wrote:
Can't get the story of the two 60 year olds out of my head. Looks like I'll be getting the PA 14 Saturday morning!

LOL! Here's a shot of Nick and Jim in their new PA14s. Nick (foreground) is in the wife's Papaya ride. Nick ended up getting a Dune PA14 for himself.

Awesome! I'm trying to decide on the color now. The shop here only has olive. They'll have the others in two weeks, but don't know if I can wait!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an old school 14 and love it! I've been in fairly rough water and never really been too terribly concerned about turning it over...nor ever worrying about turning it over while fishing standing up. In fact, I've tried to roll mine over in flat water while standing and it was pretty much impossible. I'm not sure if it would be the same with a 12? It's also nice having the additional room for storage. I've hauled other fisherman around on the back and am pretty sure that would be impossible with a 12? I've never had an issue with turning on a dime...once I get my 14 going. If you spend that much on a PA and don't have any problem carting it around I would definitely suggest a 14!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As we all know, size does matter, and if I weighed 200 lbs, and/or was a young man, and/or had a regular fishing companion, I would definitely have the PA 14. However, since I am 71, 165 lbs, and often fish alone, I opted for PA 12, and it is all the boat I want to be lugging around. I am completely happy with my choice for the lighter boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it all comes down to personal likes/dislikes....I too am 71, 189 pounds, fish alone and just sold my 2010 Hobie Outback and bought a PA-14.
My reasons for the PA-14 Vs the PA-12 are:
With the PA-14, I really like the larger front storage space and better-overall stability.....for 2" wider and 1.5 foot longer craft, the $100 up-charge is a no brain'r.

I had already bought a Trailex trailer as my 2012 Subaru Outback, I felt, could not safely carry my old Hobie Outback on the Yakima roof racks.......Subaru changed the roof rails in the 2010 model year and the cross bar spacing, front to back shrunk by about 12" as compared to my old 2007 Subaru Outback....IMO a dumb move.....and now carrying the PA-14 on the trailer is not an issue.
Loading/unloading is a snap.....the 20 pound weight difference between the PA-12 and PA-14 is actually quite small.
Pick your poison :wink: