Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie 14 sailor weight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi

I'm 16 years old and i weigh about 60 kgs or 130 lbs. I currently sail in a laser but I'm actually too light for that. and i was wondering if 60 kgs is enough to sail a hobie 14 solo.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too light? In what respect? 130 might be too light to solo right the H14. I don't see how one can be too light to sail anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunvista wrote:
Too light? In what respect? 130 might be too light to solo right the H14. I don't see how one can be too light to sail anything.

I assume he means to sail/race it competetively or simply to right the boat if he capsizes. I sailed a Laser as a kid about the same size and understand exactly what he's talking about. All boats have an ideal crew weight - both upper and lower limit. Ideal weight on a Laser is about 160 to 170 lbs.

130 LB is definitely on the light side for a Hobie 14, but the class has no official minimum weight and you will be fast in light to medium breeze. I could definitely see that you may have some problems righting the boat at your weight though. Ideal weight is going to be about the same for the H14 and a Laser. You might need to look into a righting bag or pole if you get the Hobie.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The problem in a laser is actually that i can only sail in light winds. In normal winds i have to hike a lot and i tought that a h14 whit trapeze woud work out beter for me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In a laser i have to hike a lot in light to medeum winds and i tought that the trapeze on a h14 woud help me a lot so i can sail in stronger winds and if the h14isn't good for me what woud be a good alternative?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 15 and weigh 130 and also sail a laser, and I have a hobie 16 for fun sailing. I just don't flip because I can't get it up, but a righting pole will help. But when a do flip there is always s power boat that comes by

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

marnik wrote:
In a laser i have to hike a lot in light to medeum winds and i tought that the trapeze on a h14 woud help me a lot so i can sail in stronger winds and if the h14isn't good for me what woud be a good alternative?

On a Laser, you can reef the main by tieing off the downhaul to the mast and then spinning the mast two full rotations and hooking up the boom. I recall doing this once or twice on some windy days. You can actually do more rotations but you will have to remove the top batten. Otherwise, you're a young guy...you shouldn't be complaining about hiking :D .

A Hobie 14 or a Wave would be good options for you for cat sailing, you just might want to bring a water bag. Or, at the very least, flip the boat intentionally in a controlled situation to see if you can right it yourself.

sm