Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea, I'm guessing that supermodels would be turned on by the pool noodles. :lol:

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe - better keep several on board then. Just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. Finally I had the chance to test my hobie adventure island with two persons on board using wooden haka benches. Everything went fine. I can say that even with two persons onboard and around 15 knots wind it sailed very fast. Thank you all for your replies. You were a great help for me.
Now I have a new question. Yesterday while sailing alone with around 19 knots wind I heard a crackind sound from the rudder. I thought ok the rudder pin is broken so I went back to change the pin and then I realised that the pin was bent but a large portion of the rudder was missing. The rudder was stiff enough during sailing but I had no problem steering although sometimes the sail would overpower the rudder so I had to reduce the sail. I would like to ask if anyone has faced that before. Is it normal for the rudder to be broken instead of the pin? Was that any wrong handling I did? I include two photos where you can clearly see the bent pin and the broken rudder. Too bad that was my fourth sailing experience with my Hobie. Thank you in advance for your replies. [img=http://s12.postimg.org/rp6wvwi9l/DSC00816.jpg] Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's an VERY OLD style rudder pin (like 5-6 years old) based on it's color and how it broke. Newer pins are gray with a "D" shaped top. They don't break as easily and shear off when broken instead of turning all Gumby. You did good if you got years out of that old style pin!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah. The AI is second hand so I suppose the previous owner did a great job. lol. Did you had a look at the broken rudder? The thing is why the pin did not broke so as to protect the rudder instead the rudder broke. maybe the rudder has been weak after six years of use? so is there a spare part I can buy or do I have to buy a new rudder? thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original pins (black) were more plastic where the newer grey pins are more fiberglass. The pins can weaken with stress from use without breaking. The pins are meant to break so the rudder doesn't and are a standard user replacement piece. You might check your 8" hatches (covers) as Hobie started including a spare pin and a place to carry it on the hatch covers on all but the earliest AI models.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you again for your reply. The problem is that the rudder broke and not the pin. It is my fault but if you check my post with the bent pin photo there is a url with the photo of the broken rudder. So the rudder broke because of the pin that did not broke?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, I did miss the rudder's demise... The rudder's plastic looks very degraded in your picture, maybe too much sun?

Replacement: Hobie part #81396001 Twist and Stow Rudder assembly, large blade $69.99us

Also, does your AI have the newer cleated Up and Down lines to raise/lower the rudder?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ouch. Do I have to replace the whole rudder system? :o Hmmm. I do not expose it in the sun and neither the previous user had (as he told me when I bought it). Maybe it is the flash from the digital camera I took the picture. But who knows. Maybe it is degraded. It is a 2007 model so the degradation of the plastics is normal. My only concern is why the pin didn't protect the rudder. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder comes as a whole assembly for the $70. With the bottom broken off, it needs replacing. Using the newer Grey rudder pins should help the new one to only break if you hit something with it. Grey pins shatter, black pins stretch and deform. Grey are stronger, but break cleaner, protecting the rudder assembly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok. thank you very much. I will do that. I do not want to miss a moment with my AI. The experience is great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One more question guys. Do you know if I can fit the 08+ mast receiver (79514101) to my 2007 AI? It currently carries the 07 mast receiver (79514001). Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello--- Lots of good advice above. My girlfriend, who happens to be my wife, and I are the same weight as you and your girlfriend. Yesterday she and I sailed quite comfortably and enjoyably on our 07 AI. This is how we do it. I built a Haka bench inspired by Nohuhu similar to the photo he posted in his previous posting. I added a fold down backrest which is supported by a hinged, folding support. The bench seat Haka is bungied to the akas ---a stainless eye bolt at each corner facing down make this easy. For comfort we add a self inflating Thermorest camping mattress. It is wonderful going out this way exploring beaches and sharing the experience. (Prior to having a Haka my wife would sit in front of me on the 8 inch black hatch and lean back on me. Not very comfortable for either of us but we could sail this way-I don't recommend it.) Now the down side. With two people on my AI, it sails noticeably slower. Yesterday in a 12 knot breeze we moved along several times at five MPH on a reach however. In the same conditions by myself I go 6 or 7 MPH. Also the boat sits much lower in the water with a passenger which will cause your seat-well to to fill with water anytime the waves are one foot high. Your passenger on the Haka will stay dry however until the waves approach a foot and a half. So if you are sailing in sheltered bays or harbors and know what the weather is bringing you will have a great time. Always wear your PFD's and if possible a waterproof cell phone is a good idea. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

slygizos wrote:
One more question guys. Do you know if I can fit the 08+ mast receiver (79514101) to my 2007 AI? It currently carries the 07 mast receiver (79514001). Thank you.

Yes you can, but the base of the mast must also be changed.

Hobie has two free upgrades that were available on '07 AI's, one is the upgrade from standard rudder to the larger "sailing" rudder. If the rudder you broke was the standard and the prev. owner never requested the larger one you can ask Hobie. Second was the conversion kit for the twist and Stow rudder from a lever to the up/down lines with cleat.

Both were graciously bestowed upon me through my local dealer on recently purchased LadyJane after contacting Hobie with the serial # and verifying the upgrades were never applied to my AI.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your reply. I will ask hobie to see if I can use any upgrade if they have not been used at all.
I asked about the mast receiver, as the one already installed leaks water in the hull when sailing. It has some minor cracks at main body going down the hull and it leaks like small tears. Maybe it is too worn out and needs to be replaced. I think that the cracks are produced by objects that the previous owner stored in the front hatch. Did you ever had this kind of problem?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next