Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evolve Torqeedo Problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I read these message board before, but I just registed today because the problem that I encountered while fishing last night.

I have a 2010 Outback with Evolve Torqeedo that I purchased used in July. Last night I was fishing and all of a sudden the propellar would not spin correctly. I pulled up the motor and did not see anything wrong so I put it back in the water and turned the power on and off to try to reset it. I pushed the throttle up and it would only turn slowly with some vibration. I didn't try to use the motor much after this because I didn't know what was wrong, but I tried to run it on the way back in hoping that whatever was slowing it would loosen up. That didn't work...
When I finally got back to the pier that I launched from I tried to run the motor again and it sounded like the motor was spinning internally, but the propellar was not: not good...

I got home and took the prop off and found about 3 feet of fishing line wrapped around the axel behind the propellar and the pin that makes the prop spin was slightly bent. I carefully cut the line off, but it still doesn't seem right. I'm going to do some more exploratory surgery this afternoon.

My questions:
Where can I get a new pin for the motor?
Are there any gears inside the motor that could have been stripped because of what happened?
Any other ideas of damage that could have been done and possible repairs needed?Cost?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Fishing line can cut the motor seal O ring, so I'd suggest sending it to Torqeedo before you put back in the water. Water getting into the motor is a major. Kills the electronics.

Contact info is in the manual:

Torqeedo Service Centers
North America
Torqeedo Inc.
171 Erick Street, Unit A-1
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
USA
service_usa@torqeedo.com
T +1 – 815 – 444 88 06
F +1 – 847 – 444 88 07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Based on a read of the owners manual, I'm thinking this type of thing is not under warranty? How does the warranty work when you buy your kayak second hand.

I don't think the original owner ever filed the paper work for the warranty...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Warranty for Hobie Made Accessories is transferable. This product is part Hobie, part Torqeedo. We build the mount systems, they cover the motor. They may have other guidelines on transfer of their warranty.

Damage from fishing line is not covered by warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Shady, can you post an update? I believe I've had a similar issue with the same setup as you but might not be as lucky. My motor no longer works and appears to have water inside the casing. Sounds like it's water logged when I shake it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update: I sent it into a Torqeedo shop and they confirmed my worst fear. Fishing line evidently damaged the motor seal and allowed water in, which shorted out all the electronics. This is not covered under their warranty and will require a complete replacement of the pylon assembly. Cost to me? $750 ...ouch!! ...sigh. I'll probably just shake my fist at the sky and eat the cost since I'm still a huge fan of what this setup provides.

They should replace the error codes with "$$$" since that's really what it means.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately, outboard motors have the same issue with fishing line......the line wipes out the seals in the lower unit, contaminate the oil with water and it not fixed, worst case, can end up replacing the lower unit...not cheap either.