Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8:1 upgrade worth $500?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a bad shoulder that was caused, in part, by too much "pumping" the sails. I also find it hard to pull the main sheet in heavier wind.
After a lot of physio the shoulder is about 90%.
Should I go for the 8:1 blocks: I have the stock 7:1 now.
I have a quote of $500 for new harken H-2631 and H-2632 blocks. I also need 52 feet of sheet.
Anyone who has done this upgrade I would appreciate your advise.
Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There have been a few "stock" systems over the years. Do you currently have Harken or Seaway brand blocks? Do you have three individual blocks that hang from the boom bales or do you have one triple block that hangs from one bale? Also, what is the diameter of your mainsheet?

All of these factors help determine how good your current system is. If you've already got a decent 7:1 system, then you probably won't notice much going to 8:1. If you don't currently have a good 7:1 system, then an upgrade could make a big difference.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rob, you have my sympathies.
I also have a 'weekend warrior' injury, (elbow) and I am fortunate to be married to a wonderful person who is also a great physical therapist.
The healing is going well, and we did okay at last night's 'round the buoys' racing...
however, I am wary about a recurrence.

SRM, we run with a Harken main-block, and three single blocks, with Robbline.
On Starboard, I am fine.
On Port tack, if there is traffic, life gets 'interesting'. If no traffic, I can use two hands.
One handed sheeting delays the full recovery.

Suggestions?
Will a bunch of cash ease the physicality that much?

(Our son says to buy a Tiger....more on that later).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the answers guys.
I have the 3 Harkin (H001-H002-H001) on the bails with the Harkin H170/H048 block. I am currently using 10mm fusion mainsheet.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a big fan of the three single boom block arrangement. It doesn't tend to run very cleanly. There would probably be some advantage in just switching to a single triple top block and keeping your current bottom block.

Switching from 7:1 to 8:1 would theoretically result in about a 12% load reduction (in reality, it won't be that much since there are frictional losses with the added purchase), so not a huge difference. Whether it's worthwhile is really your call. Keep in mind that with the added purchase, you will also have to work more sheet- i.e. for a given puff, you will have to let out more line and pull in more line, so you won't be pulling as hard on the line, but you will be pulling more line.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, if I add a single triple upper, which bail is it best to mount to?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Center bale. The best way is to drill out the rivets on the bale and re-mount it so that it's aligned with the blocks when the boom is centered and sheeted in.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I bought the 8:1 Harken carbo blocks and after 2 months am very happy with them. No more sore shoulder and am able to sheet-in one handed. The carbo ratchet makes holding position a two finger job (I just have to remember that and relax the death-grip)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This comment is not about the mainsheet system, but of the injury the OP mentioned. I cannot stress enough the benefits of knowing a good sports masseuse for treatment of muscle pull injuries (not tears). After two separate incidents of rotator cuff injuries from manhandling 110 sq. meter spinnakers in heavy air, a masseuse got me properly healed, preventing a 'frozen shoulder' syndrome.

Working the mainsheet is a similar muscle exercise, albeit at a far lower pull angle than a spin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris is 110% correct.. may I suggest that all of us widen our network to include a physical therapist, or kinesiologist or chiro or massage therapist who understands soft tissue injuries and sports medicine. These folks are invaluable. I am very fortunate to be married to one.... who has kept me in good shape, when I listen to her !

Back to blocks....over last winter, we changed our stock 7:1 on the H18SX to a triple on the outer bail and a H002 on the centre bail, with 10 mm Robbline, and it has altered how much we can sheet in. Sheeting in is good... not block-to-block but at least my boom is centred. On the upwind, I can now 'hold' the Tornado's against whom we race every Weds. The only change I would make is to an upper triple with becket.... or to the Harken 8:1 carbo's..... let's see how we do on this weekend's FANFARE regatta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Give the mainsheet to the crew :-) They can use two hands; what else do they have to do upwind?

Big blocks and small line are better than the other way around. More purchase also lets you sheet in harder in decent wind, which almost always equals better upwind angle/speed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Look for the pro's doing an upgrade, you can find a great 8:1 for about $250-$300. No matter what, as you increase purchase you increase length of sheet and less diameter to keep the line flowing quickly. I swapped my stock 1996 7:1 on my H20 to a 8:1 but i think i'm going to do a double small block in the middle to make the system 9:1. I know its not class legal but hell……. wearing thru gloves, my palms and many blisters is getting old real quick. the jump from 7 to 8:1 isn't a big difference IMHO. Going from stock sheet to Maffoli Swiftcord DOES make a noticeable difference. Much easier on the hands. I use 9mm.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.