Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rentals and/or Fleet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi! Last week my sister and I sailed a 14' Hobie Wave for the first time while on vacation in South Carolina (we're used to sailing Catalina's). We loved it so much we went out twice (would have been three times if the weather had cooperated). We're back home in northern New Jersey and would love more time on the water. It will be a couple year or two before I can purchase my own, so I'm looking for places that inexpensively rent Hobie Waves. We rented the wave for $25/hr per person in SC.

I'm also curious if there are any local fleets that take members who don't own their own boats, but are very willing crew?

Post subject: Re: Rentals and/or Fleet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think generally a Hobie fleet is made up of some pretty cool people that are thrilled to help new Hobie sailors get out on the water. I know nothing of Jersey fleets, but I'm sure it's worth looking into. I'd be glad to help out if you make to central coast of California.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where in NJ?

I would think you could look at Sandy Hook Fleet 250. They have a large, active club, probably the closest active fleet to north jersey. I think Trixies marina may rent beach cats, I'm not 100% sure of that though. Honestly, I would not recommend doing rentals if I were you. At $25+ per hour, you're going to blow through a lot of money if you're seriously interested in getting time on the water. You can get a decent used boat for $1500 to $2k and if you later decide you don't like it or want to upgrade, you can turn around and sell it for virtually what you paid. Rentals are just $$$ down the drain and if over the next two years you sail five days a year for four hours each time at your $25 per hour rate, you've spent $1k.

As far as crewing, there are almost always people looking for crew. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in getting more info about NJ fleets, etc.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd respectfully disagree with SRM about renting.

Although most of the places in NJ where you could rent a Hobie no longer do so, renting a few times is a good way to decide if you really want to invest in a Hobie Cat. I did this in the late 70's renting in Ship Bottom and after 3-4 times I bought a new H16 in 1979, then a new H18 in 1988.

Fleet 250 in Atlantic Highlands is a good place to meet the largest concentration of Hobie Cat owners in New Jersey. Trixie's may have a boat for rent. There used to be a couple places on LBI. I'd also contact Surf and Offshore Boat Sales in Point Pleasant, they are Hobie dealer and shold be able to point you in the right direction. There are also HC dealers in Harvey Cedars and Ocean City, NJ. There are Hobie Cats on the beach in Spring Lake and Stone Harbor, if you're ever in those areas.

A friend runs South Shore Marina on Greenwood Lake. She used to sell Hobies. You can contact them to see if she has any to rent.

Check the HC Division 11 website for information on when and where regattas are taking place in NJ. That would be a good time to look around and talk to people too, and maybe get some crew opportunities.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you so much! I will PM replies after considering these options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let's expand this discussion:

In the last couple years, I've found myself traveling to great sailing locations, but can't seem to find a sailboat (of any sort) to rent for a couple hours. I've searched the Internet for sailboat time-sharing or rentals without any luck. I even found some local sailing clubs and asked if I could borrow whatever they had in the way of communal property. Crickets.

Does anyone have some links that run under the radar that I should have searched for? I can't believe that are not others like me that would appreciate the opportunity to sail some far-away place without dragging thier own boat along. Last time I tried, my Hobie didn't even come close to fitting in the overhead bin. :lol:

...and I do agree with the beach rental scene. It's a total rip-off. Last time I on the Florida panhandle, a couple guys wanted $75/hr for a horribly abused Hobie 16. I only saw it go out once the whole day and it was the guys who owned it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have poured blood, sweat & tears into making my '82 h16 nice & it would take a lot more than $75/hr to let some moron I don't even know abuse the (censored) out of it for an hour.

Sail #64567

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let's face it, this is a 'narrow' market, and up against a lot of competition in the rental market. The guy at Pompano Beach can make more in two hours off jet-ski's than he can in one week off a H16. Paddle boards and kayaks and jet-ski's give a much higher return than beach catamarans.

Do I like this? No, not at all, however that is the reality of the market place. On the Cancun strip, there is a great company that 'places' Wave's at resorts, and they have a terrific system. Again, one is limited to 30 minutes per sail, once a day, at most resorts, and no sailing when the wind is more than 10 knots.

It is really, really difficult to rent beach cats..... until you find that hidden 'gem'. Try Chuck's, at the sound end of Delray Beach. They usually have Wave's and Getaways. John on the Pompano Beach has a beat up H16 and a Getaway, although it's been five years since I was last there. On the causeway in south Miami is a great rental operator...he often posts on this Forum, and it's a great place to go sailing.

You could always travel to the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI's, and use their fleet of Waves.... assuming you have a gold plated credit card.
Any other gems of wisdom out there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn wrote:
Any other gems of wisdom out there?

Yea, buy your own boat and forget about renting unless you're on a "destination" vacation.

I said it before, but seriously, if you want to get into sailing buy your own boat. You will learn more in a month of rigging, sailing, and maintaining your own boat than you will in two years of renting some piece of junk on the beach at $25-50 bucks an hour. If you can't afford your own boat, join a fleet and crew for someone while saving your money. Or buy something cheaper than a Hobie like a sunfish or laser for now.

If after a year or two, you find that sailing isn't for you, you sell it for virtually what you paid for it (assuming you don't smash it on the rocks or crash it into a toll booth on the interstate...).

Excessive renting is just money wasted.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OceanStar9 wrote:
Hi! Last week my sister and I sailed a 14' Hobie Wave for the first time while on vacation in South Carolina (we're used to sailing Catalina's). We loved it so much we went out twice (would have been three times if the weather had cooperated). We're back home in northern New Jersey and would love more time on the water. It will be a couple year or two before I can purchase my own, so I'm looking for places that inexpensively rent Hobie Waves. We rented the wave for $25/hr per person in SC.

I'm also curious if there are any local fleets that take members who don't own their own boats, but are very willing crew?

I'll get a couple of inner tubes to tow you two in when I get the TI. Make me a Mai Tai and I may let you steal it for a few hours...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OceanStar9 wrote:

The Hobie Wave is 13' not 14'

Hobie Wave SPECIFICATIONS
Crew: 1-4
Length: 13' / 3.96 m
Beam: 7' / 2.13 m
Capacity: 800 lbs / 362 kg
Weight: 245 lbs / 111 kg
Draft w/ Rudder Up: 11" / 0.28 m
Mast Length: 20' / 6.09 m
Sail Area: 95 sq ft / 9.0 sq m
Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene