Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Bay 2 Bay Race
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the event and is next Saturday July 20. There is a short course (about 4 miles) that starts and finishes in San Diego Bay (Liberty Station), and a long course (about 18 miles) that begins in Mission Bay and finishes in San Diego Bay. This is a family event and includes lunch, t shirts, etc., with all proceeds going to the YMCA aquatics program. awards are given for the first three to finish in each category.

In the past, pedals and paddles were combined but paddles weren't competitive so they divided the groups last year. There are two special pedaling categories this year (single open and tandem open) -- it's a great chance to dust off those fins and put the pedal to the plastic so to speak. Fishermen, you can always drop a line out while racing -- no sense wasting a good fishing opportunity!

There are lots of other entry categories -- SUPs, SIKs, SOTs, OCs, rowing, surf skis, handicapped, and more. Here's more info and entry forms: http://www.peninsula.ymca.org/special-e ... gatta.html
8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Roadrunner,
Its probably me but I can't find where they are starting from and ending at.
Also, I'm to old to compete but would like to buy a shirt if possible.

Thanks,
Rich the bearedeguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Liberty Park is on the west side of the inlet at the NW corner of Harbor Island.

There is one guy who has a custom built Seda Swift with his own pedaling rig complete with model airplane prop. He is in his 60s or 70s -- innovative and fast.

You should come and join the fun on the water. Some are competitive and others participate just for fun. Here's an example:

IMO it's fun and exciting just to be on the water with all the different boats! Hope to see you there!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,

Do you skirt along the outside of the kelp, or try to stay inside?
It seems to me that a paddle vessel would have the advantage going thru kelp?

Also can you tell me the first and last elapse times are for a hobie?
What training do you do for this? I just want to finish the first time I try.

Thanks, Baitman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Baitman wrote:
Do you skirt along the outside of the kelp, or try to stay inside?
It seems to me that a paddle vessel would have the advantage going thru kelp?
My first race was offshore near Dana Point and one of my first mistakes was to take the short cut through the kelp area. The problem: you can't see far enough to plot an effective strategy; I got got boxed in and lost about 1/4 mile against the pack before recovering outside the kelp zone; it could have been worse.

On the Bay 2 Bay race I run the short (less than 5 mile) version. Since it is run entirely inside the bay, the only kelp is loose and random -- you just dodge it. You can still pick up loose stuff though (especially sea grass), so sometimes it's worthwhile to pull the Drive briefly to clear it.

Quote:
Also can you tell me the first and last elapse times are for a Hobie?
Your speed depends on several factors -- tide, wind and water conditions and what boat model you're in. In the Adventures and Oasis tandems we're typically running 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 MPH at this distance, so the race lasts somewhere between 40 minutes and 1 hour after all factors are added up. Some folks take their time and just do it for fun -- they might spend 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hour start to finish.

Quote:
What training do you do for this? I just want to finish the first time I try.
Practice at or near the course length if possible to learn what to expect and how to best pace yourself.

Whether your goal is to win or just finish, it's a lot of fun. You gain experience that improves your general boating skills, and you're in great company! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about going bay to bay for about a year. I'm not a racer and I'm not sure if I can keep up.
On a average fishing day I normally pedal father than five miles at a leisure pace with many stops. This sounds far more intense than I expected.

You make me think, maybe I should try the five mile course first, then see if I'm up to a longer intense pedal.

Thanks for the reply.