Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lubricants
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I read about the comparisons that were made between WD40, BreakFree and silicone as a lubricant for the mirage drive. It was very informative and has peaked my interest in trying BreakFree. I'm a big WD40 user for general lubrication around the house and at work, but I want my mirage drives to stay clean as well as lubricated. WD40 might attract to much crud over time??

I received a can of Mclube Sailkote with my boat. I lubricated my drives yesterday with it. It goes on wet, but dries quickly. It left behind a white residue, which I assume dissipates when the drive is in the water. Honestly, I can't tell if it works good or not. It's hard for me to imagine that something that is "dry" would work as well or better as a lubricant that is "wet". Anyone tried this stuff on their drives and is continuing to use it?

I want to use a good lubricant that minimizes wear, but also doesn't contribute to a buildup of crud over all the parts. I'm talking about mirage drive only, not all of the other points on the boat. The pictures I looked at of the drive that had been maintained with BreakFree looked pristine. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. Is Sailkote basically the same type of product?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Post subject: Re: Lubricants
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you fish, you want to use WD40 :!: Did you know that the basic ingredient of WD40 is fish oil. That way your Mirage Drive can attract fish to your kayak :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lol, but as for the claim the basic ingredient in WD-40 is "fish oil," it's a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WD40 is a bit of a solvent so I don't use it for lubrication. Boeshield T9 is my preferred lube for the Mirage Drive. I hit it lightly about every other time out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my Oasis for 2 years now - use it everyday as a commuter-boat on the Pacific Ocean - unless it is raining.

I lubricate the MirageDrive with WD40 - about 4 times so far = every 6 months.

I pull it up onto a dock finger - no barnacles.

This is truly a 21st century boat. Marvelous -

Waiting for something to wear-out -

From Protection Island's Mud Bay to Nanaimo - in British Columbia. Google it -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey I've been in the WD40 factory, I helped them design some new spray nozzle a few years back. The place is tiny, maybe 30 people. They produce their secret syrup there similar to CocaCola syrup, it's then distributed to all the contract fulfillment centers. It's an amazing business model.
I use WD 40 on my mirage drives, and spray my motor down with it. It works fine for me. I like the way it displaces water.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And Hobie recommends using WD-40 on the chain after the Mirage drive has been rinsed off with fresh water.
I used WD-40 on my 2010 Outback since new and now on my 2013 PA-14 without any issues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting responses. I use my Oasis in saltwater, but I pull it up on my dock afterwards and rinse everything very well with freshwater after every use. I've been lubing the drives after every couple of uses because of squeaking. I've checked the tension on the cables and chains and they seem to be fine, but one drive in particular loves to squeak. I can't imagine using it every day for six months without lubing, but that would be awesome. I'm sticking with the Team McLube Sailkote for now and see how things pan out. I've lubed the drives about four times with it and no squeaking when underway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only times I've used WD40 was when my drive squeaked -
I don't recommend my lax attitude regarding lubrication.
It's just a matter of seeing how far I can go - trust/laziness - and does minimal maintenance significantly reduce the lifespan of my boat?

In 6 months, it will have paid for itself against ferry fees,