Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rubber bow hatch seals on our Revolutions are coming unglued after about several years of use. What is the best adhesive to reattach them? Or is there a replacement seal that would be easier and better to use?

They appear quite intact, but for the fact that they are no longer sticking to the lips of the hatches. Our boats would be called Revolution 13s today, but they date from just before Hobie introduced the Revolution 11.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having found discussions of a similar problem in the Island forums, I tried super glue. That seems to be working.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If/when that fails, try "Marine Goop".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By "unglued" I take it that you mean that the tubular 'o' section of the sealing rubber is coming unstuck from the 'u' section that attaches to the boat.

If so then I have had the same problem on my Adventure forward hatch seals. Initially I tried gluing them but in my experience that doesn't last long. Then out of the blue I found a sealing strip that has more or less the exact same section but in one integrated extrusion (i.e. no glue between the 'u' and the 'o'). It works perfectly and so I immediately bought enough to replace the strip on both my boats (quite a long piece because you need about 2m to go round one hatch lid!)

The place I found this is quite a way from where I live but next time I am passing I will drop in and see if I can get some information about the product to post here - manufacturer, product code, brand or w.h.y.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am talking about the sealing rubber but it doesn't look like what you describe, and what I read about in the Island forum. So far as I can tell, my Revolutions don't have a "U" part to fit over a narrow rim of the hatch opening. There is only an "O" attached with some adhesive to a fairly wide lip of the hatch opening. On one of the boats, parts of the "O" were still attached, but there was no "U" part doing the attaching, at least not one that I could see.

We've only done one excursion since the super glue fix. If it fails in the near future, I'll report back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Super glue will hold the rubber to the metal u clip for a while. I used it twice but then went ahead and ordered a new gasket. It just snaps onto the hatch lip. Just do not trim end square. You need to angle the cut to close properly at the center near the mast hole. No glue needed to install the new one. The new gasket is cheap.

Revo