Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Before I go drilling, any suggestions on which side i should install the anchor trolley? Side I fish on or opposite? Does it even matter?
I figured I would ask first, and drill later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Probably wouldn't matter.... Presumably, you're going to fish all around the boat, so just go with whichever side you feel most comfortable handling the anchor line (e.g., whether you're right- or left-handed, deploying the anchor, clearing tangles, rapid release, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put mine on the right side. If I'm anchoring, it would be by the bow or stern, most probably so that's direction-neutral. When I drift, it's usually from the stern, so again it's neutral. For the few times I anchor from amidships, I can cast easier to the left (being right-handed) so that's the tie-breaker.

The good news is that I didn't drill any holes and can switch sides easily if I choose to in the future. I used thick copper wire simply looped under the ProAngler bow and stern handles thusly:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Perhaps I erred in my choice of placing it on the port side along with my fishfinder. My thought was to keep the starboard side clear for reentry. I'm a righty and feel comfortable with the starboard side uncluttered and completely open for casting and landing fish. I do have a Scotty downrigger mounted on the starboard side but it is aft of the seat which wouldn't inhibit reentry. I'm sure it's mostly personal choice but I thought I would share my thoughts about safety, namely, reentry. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting............ I'm also right-handed and am more comfortable with my trolley, fishfinder and a rod holder on the right. I enter and bring fish aboard on the left; don't have to reach across myself to grab the leader.

As I said... whatever you're comfortable with........ :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whichever side you have your cleat on to tie off anchor line. In the Revolution it is the right side. You can add a cleat to the other side if you prefer left side.

Revo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:21 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Northern Yak Angler, You bring up a good point that most don't think of. "Keep one side clear for re-entry" I have always loaded up the STBD side with "Stuff" for the same reason, although I didn't think it out in the beginning... only after a self rescue did I realize that it was a good idea to have a clear side.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To the point of keeping one side clear for re-entry, a gear track system will help you out. I have YakAttack GearTracs on both sides of my kayak and lots of junk attached to them. I turtled this past winter and it was a huge benefit to be able to reposition the items attached to the GearTrac as it provided a clear area for re-entry and no loss of items.