Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chasing Mr. Brown....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, no help from Mother Nature this past Saturday. There were a total of 5 kayakers that participated in the inaugural Little Creek Cobia Open to benefit the local Children's Hospital. Of all the power boat-based teams entered, there were still only four measurable fish brought to the scales. None by the kayakers unfortunately, but as cobia anglers know, unless you are sight casting to them with eels and bucktails, you are basically just dropping live spot or croaker and waiting - not very exciting. For the boats that caught fish, clear water and sight casting was the ticket on Saturday which for the yak crowd is a disadvantage, yes even in the Pro Angler, Ride 135 or Native Slayers that were all designed for it. The boats with towers had a distinct advantage to say the least.

When you are anchored up for cobia with a live FF rig tied on, you need something to keep you busy. I spent the day catching bait-sized croaker, spot and roundheads. In total, I landed over 40 croaker (5-12"), a few undersized spot and a new species for me, several roundheads. On a side note, I did get to put my newest combo to the test for the day. I had purchased an almost new Stradic Ci4 2500 series reel and a like new AVID 6'8" M/XF rod. It is slowly becoming my favorite spinning combo.

The kayak crowd was manned by: Mark Lozier (1st Landing Kayak Fishing Services), Mark Patterson (NCKFA) and Joe Maccini (TKAA president) on one side of the HRBT complex and Chris Lam (TKAA member) and myself on the opposite side at Blue Fish Rock. We both got nailed by two of the three passing storms. The worst one missed us to the east and had some nasty lighting and 30-40mph winds that rolled straight north along the ES. The next two didn't miss us at all with the last hitting us dead square in the mouth 5 miles from shore. The cell formed literally in minutes and caught several people including boaters off guard with little time to seek shelter. We tried to make a run for it, but the storm rolled in on us with about a mile or so to go.

It was still worth it and we represented the kayak anglers from the area with class and dignity I thought. We even received a round of applause from the other boat captains and teams at the weigh in for competing and toughing it out. We'll be back next year to try and put one on the board!

Chasing Mr. Brown.....

Enjoy the report and video summary.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too bad about the storms and lack of big fish. Thanks for sharing though!
Question: what software do you use to edit your video? I really need to find something better than the free windows movie maker :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks - for editing, I just use iMovie on my iMac. Once the project is completed, I upload from the YouTube Upload Manager as an unlisted video first and add music to it using the free music offered on YouTube. Then I make it public. If you add music to your project prior to uploading, it will increase the size significantly and add a couple more hours to the upload time. On average, a 5 minute video taks close to an hour to edit and build, and hour plus to compile, close to two hours to upload and 30 minutes to add audio once loaded in YouTube.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw that free music editor on youtube last time I uploaded a video, but for me I usually start with a song in mind and edit my video to match the tempo and length of the song. As for the editing software, Mac is still the king. I'm looking for new windows software which will give me more features and options. Thanks for the tips!