I finally was able to get out and do some sea trials on my tubing mod for the hatch seal on my TI and I have some good news and I have some bad news.
The bad news is I walked around at the EC launch last week and looked at the hatch seals on most of the AI's and my tubing mod (posted earlier in this thread) will not help on the older AI's with the side seal inner gasket, I am recommending Kieths 'Roid' seal ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=46308
The good news is on my TI there seems to be some improvement, I went out two days in a row of 'DDS' sailing, utilizing both my spinnaker and my jib (which both put extreme extra stress on the front hatch seal) in 15mph plus winds and fairly rough water and only had to empty out a about 1 cup of water out of the hull (after two days). Previously I would get 1-2 cups per outing. Since I didn't change anything else on the boat, I'm concluding the improved seal (adding the 1/4" vinyl tubing below and around the inner seal) improves the seal and I will keep it (total investment is a buck, and 2-3 minutes of your time to put it on). While at home Depot I also saw they had 3/8 diameter latex tubing which is much softer, I might try that just so I can go out and test it over and over again.
Just to clarify, my opinion is on the newer TI's the front hatch seal from the factory works acceptably even if you do nothing at all (Hobie has done a nice job re-engineering the hatch seals), but if you go out into open seas and a little rougher than normal conditions regularly, perhaps adding the tubing might be a nice option (on TI's).
My plan now is to go down to Key West for a couple weeks of big open water sailing, I will lay 3 towels in the front, center and back of the hull to try and figure out where the water comes in. I will probably never get the hull totally dry but it sure is fun testing and testing and testing ( LOL).