Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone recommend a good spray skirt for TI? Please advise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Wife makes both Sprayskirt kits with everything necessary for a quick install and also just the sewn material that you can choose how to mount yourself. They can be purchased on her website at: http://www.deesquiltdesigns.com/sprayskirt and more information is on my website at: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt-purchase

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Second that.
They are the tops!

Cc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mark in sb:
KayakBobs price is actually very fair, suitable sprayskirt material is very expensive, and typically has to be purchased by the roll, so you have to buy 10 times more than you will actually use (that is if you can find it).
Assuming you are pretty handy on the layout table and have a pretty good sewing machine, it still takes several hours of work to build and sew everything together if you try and build your own.
How do I know this... trying to save money I have built at least 3 or 4 sets of spray skirts myself, spent way too much time and money on something, that I could have got ready to go and use with a proven durable design a long time ago. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set of KB shields I have not used yet, quality looks great. WOnder how the Ebay guy sells for $40:(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are the Ebay spray skirts ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Spray-Shi ... 53ee383ac9 ). I hadn't seen them before.

I have no idea about how the Ebay skirts will hold up or the quality of the materials or craftsmansip (maybe someone on the Forum uses them and can comment).
I only know from my own experience that spray skirts are a pain in the butt to make, and it's hard to find the UV protected outdoor material that holds up to the sun and salt, and purchase in small quantity, every place I checked you had to buy a huge roll.

Like I said I've made 3 sets now for myself, and none of them lasted a season. I know from talking to others that Kayak Bobs spray skirts will last for years (they are well designed and constructed from durable materials that hold up in the Sea and sun.
I don't own a pair, but my next set will be Kayak Bobs because I am frankly tired of messing around with them.
just my opinions
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have more or less the opposite experience & view of Fusioneng. I built my own. You can read about how to do it in detail and some of the reasons why at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 It is not difficult to build a set, not nearly as time consuming and work intensive as building a quality pair of hakas http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240. Once you have built one set, you could easily build a couple more sets for a friend or 2. I have 2 friends who built their own before I did mine.

I am also doing some experimenting in an effort to get my "miniskirts" to do the best job possible to prevent serious splashes into the cockpit area. I have an AI, but the AI and the front seat of a TI are comparably wet in rough seas (i.e., DDS conditions). That is the beauty of building your own--you can experiment with them to fit them to your style of sailing. Some of my experimentation is discussed on page 21 of my "Expeditions" thread http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240

Good luck!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cheap eBay ones (made by the Amish I believe) appear to be solid material rather than mesh, which I believe would negate their utility as they would tend to carry a lot of water in a seaway, and probable damage either themselves or their mounting points.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My very first Sprayskirt made and tested was of waterproof material. It was only a few minutes into it's first test that I had to use my knife to cut slits into it for drains to keep the AI's nose from being held almost at water level from the water (puddles) being held. There almost wasn't a second Sprayskirt test! For my next test, I tried using large grommets for drains (repairing the slits) but then I destroyed it, as it worked so badly.

That far out on the bow, it needs to breath, letting both water and wind through it, but just limiting the waters angle and speed to eliminate most splashing and mist. Anything more majorly effects how the boat handles in wind and waves.

Thank you all for the nice comments on the quality of Dee's work. All materials used are UV protected and she works hard at making each one worthy of being seen on our boats. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice workmanship. Great sewing. They really do the job and add no weight or complexity.

Thoroughly enjoying ours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Guys - I bought the $40 e-bay spray skirts and not very impressed and I have not had them out on the water yet. I had a couple fit issues 1) there is a strap and metal clasp designed to go around the front aka but if you are using Hobie tramps there is no where to hook up the strap. I had to cut off the clasp off and design a bungee cord to keep is taut 2) the 10 foot cord that wraps around a couple points to secure the ama side of the spray skirt is not quite long enough...perhaps fits a AI but just short for a TI. Haven't even had to deal with the lack of mesh issue yet. If I had to speculate, I would say I will shortly be buying a a pair of DEE's in the future...I hate poor quality stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika :
Hey Keith I'm looking for a suitable material that lets wind pass thru that I can use for a large lightweight bimini that I'm thinking about making using those fiberglass rods they use on tents. We would be mostly be using it down in the keys when we go out diving and snorkeling with the boat anchored and the sails furled up of course. I used to use an old spinnaker sail but it catches too much wind.
Is the fabric you use for your spray skirts light enough for something like that, if so where can I get some.

All my failures with spray skirts have more to do with not using the right fabric materials than anything else. Finding good materials that I can afford in small quantity has been difficult for me.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Silly thought but would a screen from a screen door work?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DM06:
Funny you should mention fiber glass screen material for doors. That's what I am currently using.
Here is a pic of my current spray skirts:
It's just hanging there in the garage, but basically it looks like most other spray skirts when it's up. And it actually works really well and keeps me dry in the boat. The only downside to fiberglass screen is it is not very strong at all and tears very easily, I won't be using standard patio screen again, it just doesn't hold up.
However I also have rear spray skirts on the back of the boat that are made from a heavier duty screen material, they advertise it as heavy duty for dog screens at Home Depot. It appears to be standard screen coated with a thin PVC coating and is stronger. I have fiberglass rods folded into the edges around the perimeter of the skirt (similar to the rods used on the Hobie tramps). I don't put them on very often because when I go out solo I always ride in the front seat so I don't need them. But in the winter when my daughter and I go out she likes them, keeps her dry from the splashing ice cold (75 degree) water in the winter. The rear skirts are strong enough to sit on and hike out from the rear seat. I'm planning to replace my front skirts once of these days with the same material, and fold in fiberglass rods on the edges for additional strength. So people can sit on the spray skirts, and I can also lash gear onto them (ie... things like dive bags, BC's, scuba tanks, etc). If you look at a Windrider 17, that's the way their spray skirts are.
I have a pool child fence around our pool that is made from some type of trampoline material (similar to Hobies tramp material, this stuff is extremely strong, and if I can find where to buy it from, that's what I will be using on the next version of spray skirts, and they will be strong enough to walk across and hike out onto. I still don't trust my current rear skirts (with the dog screen) for hiking out, kind of a waste of time making them (again).
Spray skirts are kind of a sore subject with me, as I have made at least a half dozen of them, and they always fall apart or don't work.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Bob, sorry I missed your question to me above. KayakingBob's suggestion of using Coolaroo 64-70% Shade Cloth is excellent for spray skirts. Here is a link to that cloth on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Shade-Fabric-Medium-Block/dp/B000P7FW1U/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1381964757&sr=1-2&keywords=coolaroo+shade+cloth

I don't know how this material will work as a bimini shade. Coolaroo also makes 90% shade cloth. You can find the material in the Garden section of Home Depot. This shade cloth is tough, sun resistant (that is its use, in the sun). It is not going to "fall apart." You do have to buy a roll, ca $30, but you can make several pairs of mini spray skirts--your friends will love them. You can read my write-up on their construction: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 I still plan to do more testing on my miniskirts to optimize their placement and effectiveness. I've been in the Rockies for the past 4 months; so, not much testing going on. Frankly, it is beginning to get a little too winter-like for my tastes--6" snow last night. When I get back to MIA, I will be building a pair of miniskirts for Terry--she has a brand new 2014 AI and has to have the latest accessories, of course. BTW, Terry has a home on Anna Marie Island--that is in your neighborhood isn't it, Bob?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon