Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm getting the itch to try the trapeze gear out. How much wind is needed to make it viable?

Intuitively, it's obviously whenever you get enough wind to start tipping over and hiking out to stabilize, but I'm wondering what the wind speed is to consider planning for it? I'm usually on a small, gusty lake, so I haven't got a feel for what the actual cut point is. I'm going to be visiting some larger lakes (hopefully with more stable wind). I'm pretty sure it's above 10 knots, but how far--12, 15, 18, 20 knots? If load matters--I'm up at 100kg, the crew's usually 60-80kg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think around 14, with steady conditions, you can be double-trapped if you're not too heavy. 10-ish gusts can have you flying a hull if you're just sitting on the rail. So it's not a very wide range where you go from nothing to double-trapped.

That said, I really have no idea what the exact wind speeds are when I sail. I'm basing this on the marine forecasts for the day.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If there's not enough wind, you drag through the water. Summertime it doesn't make much difference. Smaller lake with gusts and you'll have some days of out on the trapeze and barely holding it up to dunked.

With two people, you can produce enough lean by how you distribute your weight.

Are you looking to practice or when you actually need to? Or just cause it's fun? I was out on my trapeze today and spent half that time with my butt dragging through the water. Who cared? Water was warm, and I was having fun.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Msotly curiosity. We've been careful to pick days with wind based on experience. So, we've kept under 10 knots the first few trips, and then a couple at 15, gusts on 20, which was scary; but then 10 was at first too. Our first big oops was me sitting on my feet not able to move, and rolling over--solved the problem of picking a time to practice righting.

Wind at 6-9 knots was ideal at first, now we want a steady 10+. The local lake is tough in that you can't hold a point for more than a minute once the rudders start humming. That probably makes it good to learn on, but with rapidly shifting winds you have react fast. We have some travel options with some much larger water (being near the Great Lakes), so I am curious to give the trap gear a try. It looks like it might be more comfy than leaning back on the frame bar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Learning to trap makes all the difference when the wind picks up. It makes the boat much more stable as you get past 15 about knots. It's more fun too. If you want a kid to smile just hang them off a trap wire!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8 to 10 mph should be wind, at least for a single (maybe a double)trap, depending on conditions !!!

David