Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member, old hobie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey folks, I recently acquired an '82 hobie 16 and am really excited to be back on the water under sail and to have found this great resource of information. I purchased my hobie from a guy who hadn't used it in the past 5 years, but was it is in remarkably good shape. I also have the extreme good fortune of having an uncle who was a hobie dealer in the 80's. He has really helped me get familiar with the boat and get everything in order. I put a quick cleaning to it, replaced some missing shackles, replaced the rudder mechanisms, and added a trapeze and then got her out on Mobile Bay yesterday. Winds weren't great, but it didn't matter it was a great time.

Now, my next project is to get a really good cleaning of the hulls and trampoline in. I'm thinking I'll go with this to clean the hulls, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... eSNuT771Ts

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a tramp that's been outside (under a tarp) for 5 years? I was just going to start with some ajax.

Also, I noticed someone has already registered this name (with the correct spelling) but is inactive. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by stealing the name!

We don't rent pigs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

that on off stuff is nasty! dont get any of it on you, because it will sting

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

optikid wrote:
that on off stuff is nasty! dont get any of it on you, because it will sting

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be wearing some rubber gloves and glasses.

I also want to replace main and jib sheets. I've had my eye on the New England ropes vpc hybrid braid. Anybody have any other suggestions that are under 1.75/foot? I know there's lots of debate over this but what has everyone concluded? 6mm for jib and 8mm for the main? Thanks for any input anyone can give! More pictures to come after I clean her up some more.

We don't rent pigs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

for a really good cleaning of both the hulls and tramp, i always pressure wash them both. if you want a better cleaning of the hulls, i wet sanded my hulls with 400 grit sandpaper, then 600, 800, 1000 and 1200. after that polish with 3m finesse it machine polish. the stuff works wonders. This possess took my chalk blue hulls to looking new and water beading on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just don't forget to apply a good synthetic sealant after doing all of that work to keep them looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm planning on applying a high quality boat wax after treating it with the off on.

Any input on the main and jib sheet sizes?

My buddy came up with another great name for the boat, Hobie Dick. I think I'll stick with Hobie Wan Kenobi though.

We don't rent pigs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't use "wax", as in Carnuba wax. It gives a great shine, but only lasts a few weeks at best, especially once temperatures start to approach 100F.

You want a synthetic polymer product sealant product. If you want some options, let me know.

I have NE Salsa for the main and jib sheets in 8mm and 6mm, respectively. Love it, easy on the hands, flows well through the blocks, doesn't absorb water, and is reasonably durable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Options man options!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is a '79 that i refurbed over the winter. Went to eBay for the line replacement and various other parts. Some parts off of craigslist too. Figured that as I'm not racing, a little line stretch will not really matter. The quality fro the ebay is suitable so far although i did tighten the tramp once. It is halyard/sheet line with the proper strength rating rather than just super cheap rope. As for cleaning the tramp, use ajax/comet/barkeepers friend. Mine, similar to yours, was outside and unused for several years but under a tarp. Once done with the scrubbing, I was totally amazed by how great it looked. if I had before/after pics, you'd think the tramp was for different boats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI there! I just bought a Hobie 16 with Keoke sails from my cousin. I LOVE my Hobie! After 8 years of sitting on a beach here in Michigan, the elements have turned the once yellow tramp into a grey, ugly mess! Ajax didn't work at all, so I got the bright idea to use a magic sponge and some Dawn dishwashing liquid. AMAZING results! The tramp looks like a new gray one!! You may need a few of the sponges, so go get a Costco value pack!

I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get my Hobie completely pristine, but at least the tramp looks great and the lines are new! I hope this helps!~Terrie Ann