Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast stepping solo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SO, I've looked at all of the options for putting up your mast solo, but I don't like the options.

For me solo mast stepping is not a matter of strength its just that I want to be able to sail by my self.

Here's my idea, take a hand winch like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPR3FM/ref ... wo=&hvqmt=

Then make it rewind it self using a "power spring", like the spring that rewinds your lawn mower pull string. like this:http://www.vulcanspring.com/stock-power-springs.

When you left the mast the winch cable slack will be taken up and the winch cable attached to the for stay will be locked by the winch ratchet. They you just walk around to the front of the boat, and attach the bridle.

Post subject: Re: Mast stepping solo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mast Stepper III is the only way to go IMHO. It's safe and it works.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks but I've already seen the options. I'm not at all happy with the mast stepper system designs and process. I'm looking a new more simple and safe solution.

What you need is something that doesn't add a bunch of extra set up time to the rigging of the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You know what happens when you cut corners. Those little bits all serve a purpose. Once it's set up and you're familiar with the system, it's not much of a hassle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Back when i had my getaway I stepped the mast a couple of times by myself. I used a line to extend the main halyard and tied it to the cross bar, then I snugged up the halyard on the mast cleat and cleated it off. Pulled the forestay pin, climbed on the trampoline uncleated the halyard and then walked the mast down. Reverse procedure to put the mast up. The only challenge I had was getting the rig tensioned so that it wasn't sloppy. I had a winch on my trailer by the forward mast support, so once the mast was up I pulled the trapeze lines forward connected them to the winch applied gentle pressure and adjusted the forestay. This way I could have both side stays already set. Worked well for me and I'm not a big guy. Cost effective and the only setup time is two knots.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Mast Stepper III which is what I usually use. I stepped it up and down a couple of times by hand when I had help and had the Bob off. When I tried to step it by hand with the Bob on, I could not lift the mast above my knees. Didn't think the Bob would make that much difference!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies. Happy Sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One problem with my mast stepper III - the bungee is too long. It's a hogring clamped piece of elastic, and the loop is about 4" too long, so I have to double it around the stub on the foot that seats on the mast. That makes it really difficult to fit the gin pole onto the stub, and hard to pin the gin pole to the stub.

So here's the solution I came up with. Leave the foot pinned to the gin pole (That will save me a good 5 minutes of fighting with the bungee loop and the gin pole). Use a regular heavy duty bungee (one with a hook on each end) and wrap that around the foot holding it down to the mast.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used to raise and Lower my mast solo with no issues and no extra hardware.

Here's what I did:

Keep the boat strapped to the trailer during this procedure...

1. Set the mast up laying on its side on the tramp/hanging off the back of the boat.

2. Tie the jib sheet around the mast about 5 feet up from the base (you could attach an extra cleat to the mast for added safety)

3. Run the jib sheet through the eyelet on the trailer's mast stand and then back through the cleat for the jib sheet.

4. attach the trailers winch to the forestay.

5. Step back up onto the tramp and start to walk the mast up. until the shrouds are tight

6. grab the jib sheet with your toes and pull it tight through the cleat

7. once it's tight enough you can let let go of the mast since the jib sheet will be holding it up.

8. take up the slack in the forestay using the trailers winch

9. pin the forestay

10. untie jib sheet and proceed as normal.

I used to do this often and never had an accident...the only tricky parts was grabbing the jib sheet with your toes! I used to grab the sheet between my big toe and the one next to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few days ago, I used the method shown in this video for my Getaway. The video is for the Wave, but it worked great for my Getaway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9fqyRIJnE4[/youtube]

It was way easier than walking on the main trampoline from the stern.

Yes, your mast will be suspended above the ground, resting on one of the pontoons while you go to pick it up. This is not bad for the mast. Don't worry.

Doing this method was surprisingly easy to lift the mast... maybe because I was standing on solid ground (beach). The technique varies from the Wave in that once you get close to the boat while raising the mast, you will have to get on the front trampoline to completely raise it. To get on the boat, just slide onto with your knees while still holding the mast. At this point, the mast is pretty vertical and you'll find this is pretty easy. No need for standing up. Doing so on my knees worked just fine, and it took little effort. I was slightly giddy about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Use the Mast Stepper III plus a step ladder to catch and rest the mast for raising & lowering and you're all set. It's the only sensible and safe way to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting video, thanks. I'm just glad I have a wife who will help me attach the front pin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I should acquire my Getaway this weekend.
just thinking on the mast stepping...

Did anyone try an electric winch with remote control...
I explain :

1- Attach the winch to the main halyard
2- lift manually the mast high enough (above your shoulder when stepping on the trampoline)
3- with remote control, have the winch lift the mast...
4- continue lifting with the winch until in position.
5- position the jib pin...

Anything wrong with this ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with that if you can hold the mast and winch it at the same time.

Stepping requires balance. With any crosswind or uneven terrain you have to have a wide stance and hold centered on the way up. You have to hold the mast in a rotated position when near the bottom of the lift. Especially when stepping down. Failure to do so can damage the mast base, ball or post.

Maybe with the remote secured to the mast within finger reach? That way you don't have to juggle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A caution on using a winch, electric or hand-powered. If something gets caught (e.g. a trap wire around a rudder) while raising the mast you will not feel the tension and could break something. So you have to be extra careful in watching all the pieces while stepping with a winch to avoid this.