Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Built my own version of Fastfriend's righting pole, works very well on both my 16 & 18. Made it air tight to float and a plastic load pad to prevent gelcoat damage. Curved to match the front crossbar for storage.This works very well, I just need to add some sort of grip tape to it.
Thanks fastfriend for the idea

Last edited by kdj on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I first used hockey stick grip tape I bought in a roll at Dick's but it gets gooey in the sun and puts black tar stuff on things....I cleaned all that stuff off and bought a can of spray bedliner material ....taped off the bottom and shot it on the topside of the tube...I sprayed it on extra thick and used a match stick to form x patterns in the stuff before it dried..really works great and it comes in a rattle can for less than $10... enough in the can to do MANY bars for your friends too. Interesting to see your curved addition..I don't think the alloy on my bar will bend without machine shop help....something like 6061 Alloy that is pretty non-malleable. Did you see my stowage pictures, I thought my bar lays up there pretty nicely...but that's part of the fun of building one ...adding your own personal touch upgrades. Glad to see another person carrying a bar...it makes you free to push the boat when you are out solo.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. Just found this and I am planning to build. Couple questions relative the the hobie 16.

1. Just to make sure I am understanding correctly. The balance point on a hobie 16 is right behind the front crossbar, correct. The loop is then 3' in front of the front cross bar and directly behind the rear cross bar, correct?

2. On the hobie 16, what length is the front rope and rear rope from the stopper knot to bar tip, and approximately what angle will that put the bar at?

The reason I am hoping to get the exact length for the ropes on the hobie 16 is because I do not have an area where I can tip the boat over to dry test. I would rather not have to get everything set for the first time in the water. I am an inexperienced sailor, so the more I can plan out and get right before going out, the better.

Thanks for sharing your design. This fits exactly what I have been looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On a 16 were do you put the end since there is no daggerboards

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I detailed this somewhere else in one of the threads.....The center of righting effort on the Hobie 16 and 14 has to be focused right on the front crossbar...no matter what righting method you use, or the boat will roll aft or forward. So since there are no daggerboards or daggerboard well on the 16's or 14's the inside end of the bar is placed in the hull deck lip right in line with the front crossbar......that means that if the rear line coming from the bar is attached around the hull behind the rear pylon that the front line has to be flipped around the front of the hull as far forward as possible to keep the pole effort centered as described above. This is really quite easy to achieve since the trigger snaps fastened back around the line, create a sliding loop that can't slide back, because the hull shape gets larger as it comes back toward the front crossbar....the front loop will pretty much stay wherever you put it....just used my bar to right a 16 solo two weeks ago that couldn't be righted by TWO men hanging on a rigthting line because it had taken on water.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see no one replied to the guy who was asking about the exact length of the front and rear lines.....I didn't before because I wasn't sure if his question was directed at me or one of the other guys who are making different versions of this toy. I can't remember exactly,,,I know I posted it before but I am relatively sure that they are very close to 13 feet..that may seem long to you, but remember I am throwing the snap over and around the hulls to form loops that take up a lot of the line. Please use the trigger snaps in your design...they weight the ends of the line and make them really easy to toss over the hulls in the first place and then they form sliding loops that grab the irregular hull shape and hold the position in which they were placed...tying knots in your line to put the thing on and off the boat is just annoyingly time consuming and tiring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Won't you lose leaverage by puting it under the lip?

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Optikid, 0f course you are correct, you do use a little leverage when you place the inboard end of the pole under the decklip on the 16 and 14 instead of in the daggerboard well on the 17 and 18. That turned out to be one of the neat things about this design though. I wanted to be able to swap this pole from my 16 to my 18 anytime..and also wanted to be able to offer it to another solo sailor on an overturned Hobie of any design. I really designed it for my 18 and then was pleased to find that the same "tang" that kept it in position in the dagger board well on the 18, if kept short enough, would also hold the poles inboard position on the 16. ( the tang keeps the pole from jumping up out of the deck lip as you go out the pole..the carpet on that end should also contact the deck lip, spread the load and grip the rough glass up under the lip too)
The 18 magnum must weigh at least 340 lbs and a 16 is close to 100 lbs lighter, so the small loss in leverage from the 16's inboard end placement, still allows the pole to be equally effective in rigthting both boats. I used the pole again today to right a deliberately flipped 16 and have two new believers who vowed they would each have one of their own built on my design the next time I saw them on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

one last question, I am using a laser top section cut to size. so what can I put on the end to hold it on the lip?

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you looked at all the prior postings in this thread..there is also more information in a thread I posted in the 16 forum under pretty much the same heading with more details about the construction...I think it's all in there isn't it?? I am assuming that the top section you are speaking of is an aluminum mast extrusion????.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i made mine and tested it today and it worked great!! i way 125 and my crew is 130 and we got it up just fine. thanks

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I watched your youtube video...I was hoping it would have been of you righting the boat...lol...I still enjoyed your pitchpole footage and the editing and slow replay was great. I hadn't thought about this pole also adding a lot of safety margin for two lightweight sailors.... I am happy that it's letting you sail aggressively without second thoughts about flipping..very nice..Oh,you spelled channel incorrectly on the title page of your video...you'll want to fix that because everything else about it is so good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i had my gopro with me but it died before i used it, im going to film it next time. so far every time i flipped there has been a boat near me who offered to help, but i would rather be able to get it up myself. and i fixed the typo(i also spelt my name wrong).

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How can I get my H18 up from a turtle by myself?

I have a plan for a righting pole for the capsize but I capsized my H18 last month for the first time in 3 yrs and it went straight to turtle. I think the wing way up in the air was catching the wind and drove the mast under. I did not seem to have any water in the mast and it came up easy and quickly with two of us once I got the mast to the surface but it was a (censored) getting it up from turtle. Basically we just stood on the underside of the wing and held onto the daggerboard with one hand and leaned out as far as possible and it eventually came up. My under tramp righting lines were too short to be of help in the turtle position. Since it was working but slowly I did not get creative with some line around the daggerboard.

I was wondering if the righting pole could have a rope tied to the end to grab and lean back for bringing it up from turtle? Has anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just let a friend try to fly a hull on my boat this evening and he flipped it after a while and we went turtle because he always hangs onto the boat forever.
Have you ever tried sinking the sterns of the boat to roll it up on it's side...it works really well on a 16, when you sink he sterns the force of the bouyancy of the hulls is transferred through the boat and applied to the mast....It helps on the 18 too.
Since my pole has tons of line on it, I have clipped it off around the hull when turtle...it allows you to stand on the leeward hull and lean back to bring the boat up. I'm not really using the pole, just the line. It had occured to me that it might be useful for getting the boat back on it's side, where the pole is then golden..but the line is too short( you would have to add over 8 feet to each leg and that would be a mess to deal with) to get it out that far, and where would you hook the bottom of the pole and the inboard force generated by the triangulation you would be creating would probably puncture the hull.........If you figure it out, let me know..
In the meantime use all that extra line to get your body back and outside the leeward hull. Get into a comfortable position and don't struggle, patience wins..... it always takes a little while (I will sometimes wrap the line around my waist so my arms don't tire) and just hang back there a little and it will always come up...just doesn't come very quickly...remember you are moving tons of water out of the way!!!..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next