Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave turtled
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yesterday I was sailing in a strong gusty wind (gusts about 30 mph). At one gust, my Wave capsized and I fell into the sail, pushing it down. Then the boat turtled. I am guessing that the strong wind to the tramp overpowered the float on the mast when it was submerged and turned the boat completely upside down. This was totally unexpected and I had no idea what to do about it. Fortunately I remembered that I had read a post at this forum where somebody mentioned that he was able to get his Wave out of a turtle (so good to have the forums :) ). That gave me some hope as I was trying, unsuccessfully, several things. What worked for me at the end was standing at the leeward hull, leaning out as much as possible, while pulling the righting line wrapped around the windward hull. Eventually the tramp tilted and then the wind was helping me.

I have two questions for guys with experience; thanks in advance for answers.

1) Is turtling on a Wave to be expected in strong wind? Had I known it was coming, I guess I could have acted to prevent it.

2) What is the best way to get out of a turtle?

Post subject: Re: Wave turtled
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am no expert, but I've been here, shortly after getting my Wave. I needed help to bring her back.

Anyway...
this is what I've learned since then.

If you are turtled, stand on the Stern end of the hull... this will help bring the nose about, and put you in the right position to get the wind under/behind the tramp when she starts to come back up. It's essential to have the wind coming properly, or your efforts will be in vain. If you are just over on the side, then standing in the middle of the hull will work best. Also, move once you have the right wind to sail position.

Patience. She will come up, slow at first (as I'm sure you now know!)

Gusts can be tricky... and in already strong winds, may be enough to push past the tippy point. ANY sailboat can/will tip in a strong wind, and turtle if the wind gets the tramp/. However, just turning into the wind, letting out the sail - the Wave responds quick and should recover before going. Or you could just get wet. You should be able to see gusts or any wind traveling across the water surface - even in high waves.

See? Told you I was no expert. But I've been enjoying the BittyKitty much more having the experience of mistake. Hope some of this is of value.

NetraLee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd at least check the float for leaks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See (2:19) in video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Admin

If fully turtled... stand on the lee hull / rear. As the boat is pushed downwind the weather hull will start to rise.

In no wind, righting from turtle would be very difficult. Sinking the transoms is the only way.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)