Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked Outback Hull
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How long does it usually take for Hobie to respond to warranty claims? I'm just trying to get a handle on how long I will be landlocked. While fishing offshore I found water inside my Outback :o , further investigation by the dealer found a crack running on the bottom from the front of the drive well forward thru and past the injection button. The claim was only place at the start of this week.

Rick

Post subject: Re: Cracked Outback Hull
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My time was 2 weeks from reporting it to having the new hull at my house.

Not bad for not having to shell out a single penny for a replacement hull!

Of course, your time might be different, but that was my case's timing...

Good luck!

PS - I had the same exact crack in mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Maybe your dealer has a "demonstration" boat he can lend you i the interim?? Or maybe you can put a piece of packing tape over it and stay close to shore until your replacement arrives! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a hull replaced late last fall and unfortunately i have only been out in it one time so far , it had been sitting in it's white bubble wrap untouched since last Nov.

I think it's normal to have a few inches of water inside the yak , my previous Outback usually had a few inches of water after a days fishing and so far the new one does as well (although only taken out once) .

I attribute it to the rudder line openings and rear hatch, i can't remember a single time where the inside was dry. I really wish water wasn't inside though, it's a major pita getting it out of there after every trip lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cnnashman wrote:
I had a hull replaced late last fall and unfortunately i have only been out in it one time so far , it had been sitting in it's white bubble wrap untouched since last Nov.

I think it's normal to have a few inches of water inside the yak , my previous Outback usually had a few inches of water after a days fishing and so far the new one does as well (although only taken out once) .

I attribute it to the rudder line openings and rear hatch, i can't remember a single time where the inside was dry. I really wish water wasn't inside though, it's a major pita getting it out of there after every trip lol.

For the 1st 3 years I had a dry hull unless I was in very rough weather, then the fore hatch would leak a little that's it. It looks like the new ones have a heftier gasket. A few inches of water in the hull does not sound right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
Maybe your dealer has a "demonstration" boat he can lend you i the interim?? Or maybe you can put a piece of packing tape over it and stay close to shore until your replacement arrives! 8)

I don't think I will trust the crack repair enough to use. That said I have both a Wilderness Systems and Necky to get me out for right now. It is much easier to fish with the Outback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie got back to my dealer and stated that the 3 year old hull is out of warranty but they would sell me a new one for $250 plus shipping ($85-$125). I took the offer though I'm a little disappointed since this seems to be a very common place for the Hobies to fail. Neither my 8 year old Wilderness Systems that I use all winter in NY pushing through ice nor my 10 year old Necky have ever leaked a drop. Works out to about $125/year to use my Outback April-November. Maybe this one will last longer. Should have it on the water within another weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RicKG - are you a tall guy? The few guys on our fishing forum that have had drive well cracks seem to share one trait - they are all well over 6'. Might be just coincidence, but I find it curious.