Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best way to dry sails?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Really stupid question, but I'm trying to learn...

So, my H17 sail that got wet yesterday. This is the first time I've gotten it completely soaked-- I'm trying to dry it out before rolling it up to put away, but there is water trapped in between the layers on the leech edge. (I believe there are layers of mylar sandwiched between the fabric, right?) I've had it draped over my boat in the breezy and overcast sun for over 7hrs total between today and yesterday. I cant imagine there is any thing more I could be doing to speed this up, but I figured I'd ask. Is what I'm doing the best thing to do or is there any tricks? And as the afternoon sun breaks through should I worry about UV damage and move it into the shade?

Thanks,
Marten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try to find some way to hang them up if you can. I put a couple of big stainless hooks on the back of my deck and stretch the sails across them luff up. I don't think UV is any more of an issue than when they are on the boat. You don't have to leave them up too long because they dry quickly. Just take them down as soon as they dry.

If the weather is bad, I stand my sails up in my garage as best i can and use a dehumidifier to dry them out. If you have a garage, a dehumidifier is a great investment. I hang my wetsuits, harnesses, sails, sheets, water shoes, gloves & life vest on rack and crank it up. I usually dries it completely in 12 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A dehumidifier is a good idea... a semi insulated garage or large basement would be needed though (which I have neither of). And the rest of the sail did dry real quick, It's just the small amount of water between the layers of mylar. I'm starting to think that I should just give up- I can't imagine that mildew or anything will grow/break down in there as long it's only for a week or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hang out at the ramp for a couple hours and drink beers then lower and stow the now dry sails! :D