Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I've managed to make a believer out of my dad with this Hobie fishing phenomenon we have all come to love.
I took him trout fishing in spring and he trumps me by catching a huge snook http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46739&p=203398#p203398

Last Month I took him offshore for the first time (only his second Hobie trip) and he handled it like a champ. Here's a little video I did for him, sorry its two thirds paddling and only one third fishing but it was a slow day ok? :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUrTWnoUjM[/youtube]

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great movie! Thanks for sharing :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice vid!

Hey I mounted a Lowrance Mark4 on my Revo13 last night. What model is that you have? Any pro/cons/thoughts/uses?

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mnormand wrote:
Nice vid!
Hey I mounted a Lowrance Mark4 on my Revo13 last night. What model is that you have? Any pro/cons/thoughts/uses?

Thanks!
Lowrance Elite-4. Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Out there in the ocean I get great readings when the depth is less than 150ft, but when I get out to the ledge where I normally fish for tuna (275-300 ft) I don't see much fish activity or detail on the bottom. Part of the reason might be that I have the transducer mounted inside the hull in a block/puddle of marine goop; so perhaps performance is better when the transducer is actually exposed to the surrounding water. If you're doing shallow water or freshwater, you needn't worry about this as much as I do.

The GPS works quite well on my unit, even without the navionics chip.

Helpful tip: if your model has the two ports open at the back, you're only using one for power/transducer. Cover the other port by whatever means necessary so it doesn't get exposed to saltwater. I saw corrosion after the first time my alt port was exposed, so then I cleaned it up with a q-tip and wd40 and then sealed it with a rubber cap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I saw that 2nd port prob right away, and after much googling cant believe L doesn't make a cap for that.
Per suggestion elsewhere, going to hardware store or West Marine tomorrow to source some type of rubber cap. Will also use dielectric grease.
Update: found these chair tips that fit perfect, very snug:
Mintcraft 1/2" sku# 961-4140 black plastic leg tips.

I'm hanging the transducer off the side on removable bracket, to easily transfer to my other boats as needed. And much shallower waters here, don't expect interference issues.

Always impressed by you guys that go big water!

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was looking at the Lowrance a bit more after our discussion since I went to sea yesterday. Noticed two things:

1. The micro-sd card slot is now showing signs of corrosion as I did not realize that it will not seal 100% anymore. I'm going to clean it out and permanently seal with marine goop soon.
2. I'm still getting fish readings at 150' depth which is good, but bottom resolution tapers to useless past this point. I need more resolution at 300' depth for locating wrecks when speed jigging.

I think I will not be recommending this unit to any of my fellow offshore anglers in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A couple of us up here in my neighborhood had problems with our Lowrance FF's SD card slot. After hulis, we found the SD card slot full of water, which killed our units. (Hulis on surf landings are pretty common with us as the surf is often fairly intense.) After warranty replacements, we all just taped and gooped our SD slots permanently closed. I also gooped up my unused back connector. Haven't had problems since.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am about to order the same Fishfinder for my Outback. I have researched the snot out of it and there are many reports of extreme cable corrosion, but I found a few things that if done consistently, see to prevent it.

• 1. Ample use of dielectric grease on the connector every time it is connected/disconnected
  • 2. Absolutely disconnect the battery before you remove the connector from the fish finder
  • 3. Cover the end of the connector when not is use. A 3/8" screw protector from Lowe's apparently works well for this
  • 4. Even when it's all connected up, disconnect the power to the unit (either with a separate switch or disconnecting the battery) if you aren't using the system

I don't know this first hand but apparently, imbedding the transducer in duct seal gives more consistent and better readings than marine goop. Also a lot easier and faster to install. That's how I'll be setting mine up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried duct seal, it was easier and less mess, but not as permanent as marine goop.
Don't forget to seal the map card slot!