Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie 21 sail problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

matt miller, I have an opportunity to buy an older h21(not sport) . The owner always had problems keeping the sail in the luff groove at the comptip. What is likely the problem and do you think it is fixable? If it is fixable I will make the guy an offer. Thanks....dj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Incorrect halyard system? Missing the ring and not hooking? Broken track?

All fixable.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had that problem with my 21SC, as did the previous owner. I did a couple of things, but the one that would probably help you the most is to change out the plastic luff track for the stiffer aluminum ones. Matt probably can't/ won't suggest doing this, I'm sure for liability reasons, and wisely so. I can respect that. I would not suggest that you change all of them either, especially the one that interfaces with the aluminum mast. As he explained to me, doing so would totally negate the purpose of the comp tips electrical contact protection. Fortunately for me, I launch out of my yard and never trailer the boat so my risk with power lines is quite minimal. (If I remember right I only changed out the top two anyway) Your situation may be totally different. Lightening is another matter, but if it strikes that close...I'm not going to be around to write and complain.

Other changes that I made were switching to an extremely low stretch Vectran halyard. I also added a hook and ring system, but have never used them. However, the SC sail area is smaller than the SE, so you will probably need to utilize the hook and ring. Anyway, let me tell you, the changes made beat the hell out of having to flip the boat over on its side in order to pry the sail free because it's stuck and won't lower after a long day of sailing.

If you search the forums you'll find information on changing the luff tracks, there may even be an FAQ. Some suggest that you pry/pop them out with a screwdriver. I didn't want to risk chipping or damaging my comp tip so I drilled out the pop rivets holding the masthead in place, used a heat gun to soften the masthead sealing adhesive, R&R the tracks by sliding them in/out, resealed the masthead joint, and then replaced the pop rivets. If you have the tools. it wasn't that bad of a job. Just make sure that you remove ALL of the rivets. I found some that were 6" or so down the mast that almost killed the job. Should take about an hour if you have all of your tools and parts ready. If not grab a screwdriver, hammer and pray.

BTW, I've also read that others have had a sail loft sew in a plastic slug into the top of the luff.

If the boat is in good shape otherwise, I wouldn't worry to much about the luff track issue.
Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like what you need is luff track update.

Check out these threads

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44107&p=196303&hilit=luff+update#p196303

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44340