Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle boat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it just me or does it bother anybody else when you are asked if you like your "paddle boat"? I generally say "you betcha"and keep on moving. I like to be somewhat anonymous, but it is difficult when you are cruising thru the crowd with your PA 14!

Post subject: Re: Paddle boat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a Hobie owner, you have an obligation to stop and show off your kayak. That's just part of the deal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just tell them, "Don't know, I've never owned a paddle boat."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Most people can't seem to figure out how the boat works. If they ask, I stop and pull out the mirage drive, flap it back & forth a couple times, and you can almost see the understanding light bulb turn on over their heads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I was a kid we would rent those two and four person paddle boats that you sit up on and paddle, at all the resorts. Basically you couldn't go anywhere very fast, and it was quite a workout just to get moving. Probably the most ill conceived boat design ever, but I'm sure they sold many thousands of them to resorts.
To this day when I describe my Hobie kayaks (when not actually on the boat), you can see in peoples eyes, that type of paddle boat is exactly what they have pictured in their mind as I'm talking about how nice the Hobies are, and the rest of the conversation goes to deaf ears. Pretty much everyone remembers renting one and their memories are not kind about the experience.
That would be a terrific thing for resorts to have 2up and 4up paddle boats with mirage drives, but I have a feeling the risk of damage to the drives would be too great, plus it's not the 60's anymore, everyone wants to jetski now. But I also see the jetski era going away soon as people get more conscious of the environment, and paying for gas.
I won't own a boat without mirage drives anymore.
I would assume the word paddleboat is a bad word at Hobie because of those resort boats, because I assume they don't want people to think of their boats that way.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fusioneng - You understand the reason behind my rather tongue in cheek comment about the paddle boat comment. Ha! And don't get me started on the jet ski!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishalot :
Talkin about jet ski's, we are down in Key West for the rest of the month getting ready for mini lobster season this week (we're scuba divers).

We were out in open water south of Key West Island about a half mile offshore scoping out possible lobster hiding places. I had a big dive flag on my TI, and my divers had individual dive flags as well. By coast guard law nobody is supposed come within 300 feet of a boat with dive flags flying. There must have been 40 jet ski's zoomed past us at full throttle (within 50 feet), and probably 5 powerboats, I did what I could to wave off the powerboats but they looked at me like I was crazy. Stupid people.....
Then to top it off a little while later a guy comes out on a jetski and tells us we shouldn't be out there because there is a lot of jetski traffic in the area, he said the jetski's can't see the divers and will run over them (mind you we were at least a half mile offshore in open water), by that time if I had my flare pistol out I would have been aiming (just kidding, but I wanted to), though all the divers had spear guns on them, could have been another OK corral with the jetski people (humor).
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Amazing stuff. I was crappie fishing in a small creek (no more than 40ft wide and 8ft deep), off the Mississippi river that is clearly marked as "no wake". A jet ski person decided this was a great place to test the speed of his toy so he raced up and down the creek totally oblivious of the signs and of me. I couldn't believe anybody would do that, but after his third pass I was a believer and left the creek with his registration number. My Outback handled the wake like a champ, however. I think it is important that responsible boaters help enforce the laws by reporting bozos like this to the water police. Hopefully it will make our sport safer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have several, non-kayaking, buddies that refuse to call our Hobies anything but "paddle-boats". They all know how the Mirage drive works but you know how friends like to rag on each other. It doesn't bother me at all.

It also doesn't bother me when they call my AMA Sidekicks "Water Wings". I actually refer to them now as Water Wings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

fusioneng wrote:
There must have been 40 jet ski's zoomed past us at full throttle (within 50 feet), and probably 5 powerboats, I did what I could to wave off the powerboats but they looked at me like I was crazy. Stupid people.....

Ya gotta have the right equipment on board to handle a situation like that...

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/westnet/_lpm/hobie/archives/v1-i2/humor.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What's the Hobie Part# for that item? My catalog must be out of date.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gas Yakker wrote:
What's the Hobie Part# for that item? My catalog must be out of date.

That would be the 007 add-on special order.. most order forms do not list this item.