Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holder 12 rudder fix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, greetings from southeast MA! New here, not as new to sailing. I got my paws on a Holder 12 2 summers ago and it's a great boat to putter around Buzzard's bay in. Much like a teen's first car, let's just say this bad boy has been put through its paces and been stuck in some places...now I'm trying to get it back up and running for some relaxation in August. My (biggest) problem IS: screws that mount the kick-up rod to the rudder itself have been worked free and pulled out. of the rudder. entirely. -_- This happened once before last summer upon colliding with a rock while navigating around a sandbar, and with some help I filled the holes with some kind of marine epoxy and set the screws back in that way. Now, after surviving the remainder of the season and a few trips this year, the now epoxy-coated screwed have slipped out again, and also got bent in the process. SO I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to best go about re-attaching the kick-up bracket to the rudder. I'm weary of trying to do too much drilling out of the rudder and I'm pretty sure I can't thread those holes. Any advice, input, or ideas will be greatly, greatly appreciated! And one last thing, does anyone have any knowledge of a good place to acquire parts new or used for this vessel? Backyard Boats has been the most helpful so far and I'm 1 for 6 there with parts I need

Post subject: Re: Holder 12 rudder fix
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Resin-Coated chopped glass shoved into the holes. Then followed by the screws.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks! does it matter what type of resin I use, or will any do? Also am I letting the glass cure before I put the screws in or just going right in after i shove the mat in? Last question: I just got a new deadeye that needs to go on my boom. Should I use aluminum rivets for that? I've been told stainless steel and aluminum are reactive, and the boat does see salt water, but I'm sure whatever the original fasteners were will work. Thanks again for your help

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Poly or Epoxy... either.

Screws go in when glass is wet. Resin hardens around the screws as it cures.

Stainless rivets. Aluminum is too weak, so we just deal with the corrosion issues. Maybe try coating the hole and rivet head with Lanocote.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)