Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting Pro 12
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, soon I hope to be the proud owner of a Pro 12. I do have one question about transporting the 'yak. I have a Toyota Sienna with roof rack. I've been through a lot of previous emails and it seems Yakima is rated very highly for roof racks for kayaks. However what particular model can anyone recommend for the Pro 12. There are a lot (at least it seems to me) of different models Yakima sells and was just wondering if one is better than another. Thanks for any assistance and I look forward to getting my Pro 12 from Backyard boats in Annapolis MD very soon.

Ron

Post subject: Re: Transporting Pro 12
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a pair of yakima hulley rollers on the back of my factory rack and the yakima mako aero saddles on the front. Don't forget to tie down with bow and stern lines to the vehicle as well as securing to the rack. Good luck and have fun. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

basskicker: Thanks for the reply; exactly the information I was looking for. Looks like that'll be the purchase before the Pro 12 so I can get it home safely.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You're most welcome. If you have further questions, I highly recommend you talk to the folks at Austin Canoe and Kayak. They are extremely helpful and have great service. You might also want to consider investing in what they call core locks. Will help to prevent thieves from picking off the components of your rack system. Have fun. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Think about a small trailer. Car topping a PA 12 is a challenge. It also gives you a place to store it..

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My vintage '82 Yakima racks were working just fine after I changed out the tower due to rust. The PA12 travels great (at highway speed) upside down, on top of the racks. I had adjustable 90 degree canoe brackets which adjust to the PA nicely with it is upside down. My racks were bent, so this past year I earned enough through my REI credit card dividend to get a free set of racks, so I'll have straight racks pretty soon.

Oh yeah, the low profile towers are tall enough to keep all the kayak rails off the roof of my Tacoma. Obviously the seat and most gear must be removed. I travel with my rods inside the boat. Also 80 pounds of PA isn't the easiest thing to invert once I push it up there. I bought Yakimas side loader bar, but to me it isn't as easy as it looks.

I use a painter on the front to the bumper, two lines across the boat, and and a chain lock through the mirage drive into the bed (for theft control).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Magenta Sports trailer which is basically a roof top carrier on a trailer. It has 2" wide cross bars on 33-1/2" center. I use cushions on the bars to spread the load for trailering/short term storage. This winter I will probably put pipes under it for long term storage. I originally bought with 60" cross bars which was fine for 2 classic style kayaks, and have since installed 80" cross bars to carry my PA 12 and my buddy's kayak. I also got the 12" tire upgrade, which is good for me since I trailer it 500+ miles sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harbor Freight sells an excellent small trailer for $180 - 20% off. Highly recommended, proper size, sprung just right etc. It is so good I bought 2 - one for PA 14, one for a canoe. Mine has logged may be 500 miles by now, no issues. Google for more info.