Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a '95 H18 and I am doing restoration work but can't get the dolphin striker rod out from the end cap castings of the front cross bar. I have removed the respective bults and center post. I think rod is just inserted into end caps but need some help on how to remove the rod from the end caps so I can remove the two inner castings in the front crossbar. Probably seiged but would appreciate any insight. Are the end threads of the rod 1" in length or more? Should I pull dolphin striker away from center of cross bar with pressure while using a penetrating solvent?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

The rod is a slip fit in the castings, so corrosion buildup is your issue. Penetrating oil and rotation movement should help free it up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt, took 3 days with freeze penetrating oil and plenty of banging with nut in to protect thread and ended up having to use car jack between dolphin striker and crossbar to finally get the dolphin striker out from the end caps. The striker has almost 2" through the end cap and is only reachable in the endcap outer side. Corrosion was too bad so bought a used but solid crossbar. Wouldlike to take it apart to put antisiege but have moved on to restoration of other parts. Anchor plates are in back order at Hobie til Sep so that puts me behind on project. Do you know when the anchor plates will start shipping out. I ordered 6 through Beach Cats at PR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When replacing the dolphin striker in the endcap think about wrapping it in heat shrink tape ( for electrical wire) : it isolates the stainless steel rod from the aluminium. My endcap insides were completely eaten up by the corrosion caused by joining a weak and a strong metal in a seawater environement, I still consider this a design flaw in a otherwise superb boat ( I love my old 18 !)
Also : paint the end ( threaded) part of the rod with epoxy-paint, this end part cannot be shrink-wrapped ( the nut needs the threads) and the paint provides a measure of isolation.
It took me blood, sweat and tears to get the dolphin striker out of the end caps, but worth it : think what could happen when an end cap collapses during sailing....

Michel, sailing on Mana.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a new crossbar and dolphin striker assembly about 3 months back. Just waiting for wife to finish with household chores before I tackle the new fit. Then I am after the long distance sea challenges with the H18.

The old one is quite cracked and requires replacing and do not dare rough water sailing.

Cheers
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marco Rexach wrote:
Thanks Matt, took 3 days with freeze penetrating oil and plenty of banging with nut in to protect thread and ended up having to use car jack between dolphin striker and crossbar to finally get the dolphin striker out from the end caps. The striker has almost 2" through the end cap and is only reachable in the endcap outer side. Corrosion was too bad so bought a used but solid crossbar. Wouldlike to take it apart to put antisiege but have moved on to restoration of other parts. Anchor plates are in back order at Hobie til Sep so that puts me behind on project. Do you know when the anchor plates will start shipping out. I ordered 6 through Beach Cats at PR.

Marco could you please elaborate on how you used a car jack to get your striker rod out of the corner casting. Ive been beating on mine for hours and it won't budge. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
elaborate on how you used a car jack to get your striker rod out of the corner casting.

The jack is so you don't have to remove the striker rod itself... leave it tensioned. Use the jack to re-seat the post and casting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Example is Hobie 16... same though...

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/h16-step-replace.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok,

So I followed Matt Miller's article on removing the base casting, but it seems to be stuck.

Background: Replacing mast base and mast step on a '79 Hobie 16.

I have drilled out the rivets in the casting and loosened the nuts on the striker rod on both sides. I have hit the bottom of the post with a mallet with a wood block in between. The indentations in the wood are very noticeable so I am using significant force.

I have used a mallet to wedge a flathead screwdriver between the casting and the crossbar at each rivet and can verify that each rivet is drilled out and not holding the casting at all; however, I cannot pry the casting up past 1/4".

The only thought I have is that the dolphin striker post is somehow not fitting through the cross bar. I have used the mallet to tap it around and can't see how it fits through. Maybe it is a different construction on the '79? I would think it unlikely that this is the case as I can see the base of the post in the mast base casting.

I am at a loss at this point, any help is appreciated!

UPDATED: Ok, so it finally moved after beating on it for a while, I was able to swap the casting. I tried to use the car jack to move it back down to no avail. I took some silicone lubricant and shot it inside through the old rivet holes, then on the top of the post and bottom. After a few minute it moved with some pressure and I was able to use the clamp method to rivet everything back into place. SO if someone else is having issues with moving the striker post on an old boat, use a little lubricant and revisit the problem after a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So can you pull a Hobie 18 dolphin striker rod (the 8' lone one) out of the front crossbar without having to take off the crossbar end castings?? I have a dolphin striker rod with both ends stripped ( nuts turn but chewing up the threads) and want to replace it. My mast base and dolphin striker post are fine.

DC Shear