Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello good folks!

I've always enjoyed nature photography and when i saw some of the wildlife that becomes available when upon a kayak, i was hooked.
Been looking around and pretty much thought i would get a canoe with outrigger... until i saw a Pro Angler and i was in love.

new to kayak so please be patient with me as i know i will have many newbie questions.

just brought home my new PA12 and i actually was excited to see how stable it is and so i had it in the pool for an hour.

so, first of many questions...

1)i did notice that my quick pool incursion, i had some minor pooling of water inside. is this acceptable? how "watertight" are the compartments?

2)while stability is amazing... i think i will opt to mount outriggers since i'm going to be out with quite a bit of costly equipment. i saw kayaks with outriggers mounted in the front, then i saw kayaks with outriggers mounted in the rear behind the seat... on PA's i've only seen outriggers mounted behind the seats. what would be the pro's and cons, in terms of stability, of mounting outriggers in front as compared to rear of the seat?

thank you in advance for your patience and advice.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello and welcome. :D The PA should be a great platform for photography, enjoy!! Not familiar with the outrigging part of things but here's what I can tell you on the hatches. The small rear hatch and the one between your feet are touted as being water tight seals I believe. The main bow hatch should prevent most water from rain, waves,accidental splashing etc. from entering the hull but is not water proof. Make sure that your drain plugs are full inserted and that the O-rings are present. Spare drain plugs are readily available and cheap. I keep extras on hand in case I lose one when leaving the drains open for pressure relief or in case of O-ring decay. Water is what it is and if at all possible will find a way inside the hull but it should be a very minimal problem. If storing anything below deck, I would definitely recommend a dry bag. I'm relatively new to this myself and hope this helps a little. Have a great time in your PA. Very fun boats!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for the reply basskicker...

i will check the o-rings and the drain plugs.
i am excited to get this on the water... of course, i won't go out full camera gear at first... just want to get the hang of things.
i hear some folks think PA shouldn't need outriggers and the thing that i find addicting is all the "mods" one can do on their kayak...

i will restrain myself and keep the drill away until i get some time on the water though...

as for the water, well, i think that the bow may have dipped in the water when i was trying to rock it here and there... and practiced getting back from the stern... i am pulling up with 250lbs of me... :oops:

but so when i'm out on the water, how much water should i start worrying?

cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Hobie Pro Angler family. Hobie does make some outriggers that a few folks have mounted on their Pro Anglers. If you search the forums, you might find it here. I remember seeing someone with the Hobie outriggers mounted just behind the seat.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, so, how many post count until the admins stop monitoring me?

oh, nevermind.. i guess i'm "approved" :lol:

anywhoo... thanks again.
found some info... going to do more test in the water.