Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my new old Hobie 18, registration says '78 but the hull is marked '77. I was lucky to find one that had been in a garage for over 20 years. Is there a significance to the sail number being so low? and are there replacements for the HC logo on the sail?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradwarden/9304639770/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradwarden ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradwarden ... otostream/

Thanks,

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I forgot to mention that the original stripe was peeling and in pretty bad shape so I removed it, wet sanded all the gelcoat and then wheeled it out. I then digitized the shark mouth and stripe design and printed it one vehicle wrap adhesive backed vinyl. After that I sealed it all with Star Brite with PTEF. I am pretty impressed with that polish.

What do you all like out there for cleaning and conditioning your white trampolines?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone who keeps an 18 on the water is OK with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love the shark decals. I bet that draws a lot of attention at the beach!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cmftlynum wrote:
This is my new old Hobie 18, registration says '78 but the hull is marked '77. I was lucky to find one that had been in a garage for over 20 years. Is there a significance to the sail number being so low? and are there replacements for the HC logo on the sail?
Brad

Brad, what an awesome graphic! Beautiful but I'm guessing you are in the vinyl wrap business? Because that looks expensive, not to mention professionally designed.

Hats off.

The Hobie sail logo is available from dealers, the white one is part number 12430001

If that is the original sail number (are those Hobie sails or aftermarket?) you must have a really early boat (first 400). I think the first model year was indeed 1978, although they probably started building them in 1977.

What is your hull number that is etched into the sterns? Will be interesting.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The hull number ends: M77I

The gentleman I bought it from told me he was the original owner and that he ordered the boat when they were announced. These are Hobie sails and I believe that they are original. I saw a photo, in one of the Hobie Cat sailing books he gave me, with an 18 that was owned by the co-designer Phil Edwards and it had sail number 136 and looked like the same colors. It was unfortunately in black and white. After seeing this, I just started to wonder if a low sail number indicated a real early boat in the production.

The original owner also told me that a couple of guys from Hawaii came to his house shortly after purchasing the boat and filled the inside lip between the hull and top on the inside of each hull. Some sort of factory reinforcement with I am not sure what material but it is still there and in good shape. I used to own and race a H16 about 15 years ago and now that my kids are interested in it, I started looking for some cheap fun and ended up looking at 18's because of the stability and heavier crew weight. You know fitting more people on and for some reason, I seem to weigh a lot more now than in my 20's. :D

I have had it out about a dozen times this month and it seems great and I cannot believe that I went this long without the thrill of sailing these boats in some good heavy wind. Here is a video of the first time my wife has ever been sailing and the first time for me in 15 to 16 years. I need to get a couple of hiking suits. http://youtu.be/Lp8_I9P0zRY

Yes, I am fortunate that I run a sign company in metro Detroit. I took photos of the hull after I removed the original stripe and drew on it until I was satisfied with a basic design. My 10 y.o. son wanted the shark teeth so I incorporated them into the stripe. I used the pantone colors of the sail to make it. I was hoping for something a little retro while still being updated.

Thanks for the info and the forum has been great in helping me learn the 18's intricacies and remember quite a bit of what I had forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cmftlynum wrote:
The hull number ends: M77I

Under the old style (pre 84) system that should mean a 1977 model built in April of 1977. Where the I designates the ninth month starting with August of 1976. (model year started in August for the next year).

It could be that April of 1977 was the first month of production, depending on what their capacity was per month at the time.
Maybe Matt knows.
cmftlynum wrote:
Yes, I am fortunate that I run a sign company in metro Detroit. I took photos of the hull after I removed the original stripe and drew on it until I was satisfied with a basic design. My 10 y.o. son wanted the shark teeth so I incorporated them into the stripe. I used the pantone colors of the sail to make it. I was hoping for something a little retro while still being updated.

Beautiful job, if a customer had ordered that for their boat (assuming they had already designed it) what kind of money are we talking?

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If the customer did the install it would be approx. $300.00 give or take. We charge based upon square footage printed on 3M high performance, which has air egress adhesive. This allows the installer to push out the bubbles without using a wet application. I contour cut the stripe and graphics to color, meaning the white you see is the actual hull. The mouth is a separate graphic. The ink is all solvent based so it eats slightly into the base vinyl and has UV inhibitors. This also has a clear, high performance, uv overlaminate for better protection and less fading over time. The durability nowadays is getting to be really good. Even reds last years before a discernable fading.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Next time I get up to where I sail the boat, I am replacing the neoprene side rail anti-slip and I need to find something to clean the tramp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great graphics! That H18 is a beauty.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So yesterday I saw your boat parked on your lawn and had a chat with your dad about it. It looks great. Everything is in good to great condition for its age, just a couple things:

1. Buy and keep on hand new standing rigging, especially the shroud anchor bolts since yours look original and they are the number one reason for dismasts.

2. The original port covers leaked through the rope handle, so if this becomes a problem consider replacing them with new screw type.

Otherwise, you have a very nice boat. I keep a 2003 18SX with wings on Lakeshore Dr. in Topinabee, but visit only for two weeks in July. Maybe we'll see each other next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, what a small world. Thank you for the heads up. I wish we could have crossed paths. I desperately need some sailing time with an experienced H18 sailor. I was real happy with how quickly I remembered some of the sailing feel but with only previously owning a 16, I was a little setup lost. I've got two circa '79 cat books and have finally had time to read them. Great info.

I did get another set of rigging from the orig. but no new shroud anchors. I think I read on here about larger heavier duty assy available.

I really appreciate the help and hopefully we can sail together in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have ordered new shroud anchors and the rolled bar as well and I have read about aligning them correctly. Thanks for the info because I did drop a mast on the 16 quite a few years back because of a quick connect pin and that was not fun.

I do have question regarding the hull covers. Do the original escutcheons or rings have screws holding them into the hull? I am thinking of ordering the new ones and want to know what tools I should take or how much of a task is the replacement?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Replacing the port covers is easy- just drill out the rivets and rivet and caulk on a new one. You'll need a drill with a (fill in the blank size bit), new aluminum pop rivets, and a rivet puller. It is recommended to get a puller which can handle Monel rivets, since many other rivets on the boat use them and could probably be changed in time. But. . . Check with the Hobie dealer to be sure the size or the port covers hasn't changed. Also, they should be changed only if leakage is a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When you get new ones skip the screws/rivets. Glue them in with silicone. Dow 795 is my first choice .If you cant find that locally life seal will work. Polysulfides(Sikaflex,etc) or Polyurthanes(5200,etc) wont stick to plastic.