Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Future
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting Post from Former Hobie 16 World Champion Gavin Colby

Now my class alliance is well known. I owe a lot to Hobie Cat and the opportunities they gave me. That does not mean I have any animosity to any other classes. A few years ago Peter Gilmour (a famous local yachtsman and match racer) was interviewed in The West Australian newspaper. In the article he inferred the America’s Cup on multihulls was a waste of time and it was better to just wait for when they came back to traditional monohulls. How wrong he is. Peter should know better not to divide the sport. He should be promoting all sailing not matter what the class. The more people sailing the better. I would argue that the America’s Cup now has brought sailing to the attention of the non-sailing public more than ever, and especially the Catamaran.
If you have not noticed lately the Global Financial Crisis Hangover is hanging over sailing and the World like the Sunday after the night before. 68 F18 entries at Eurocat with around 40 on the F16. Less on the Hobie 16. This years Round Texel Race has all of 150 entries to date with the event not more that a month away. But the sport continues to make boats that are more expensive! Whether it is high tech F18’s, lightweight F16’s, foiling A-Cat’s the list goes on. And unfortunately they are all for the minority.
Here is where the 16 enters its crossroads. Essentially the Laser of Cat sailing. Simple, relatively cheap and can be technical to sail. The manufacturer and the class have now a unique opportunity to the cement the boat as a true apprentice One Design Cat Racer. All the other classes are chasing speed and innovation, which in turn is driving costs up, and the numbers are dropping. Hobie should be looking at doing the opposite. Unfortunately Hobie was led on a Spinnaker goose chase. Trying to keep up with the emerging designs that were without question great Cats built for the purpose has hurt the 16. What was Hobie to do? Especially considering the strong French Catamaran community pressuring Hobie Europe to go this way. Keep the costs down, forget about the spinnaker and promote true One Design Racing.
Now lets take the Nacra 17 at the Olympics. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Am I disappointed it is not a Hobie boat? No way. I think it is fantastic. What is especially good for Nacra and AHPC’s Viper for that matter is that it is a completely New Class. Becoming the Olympic boat has traditionally spelled the death of a class (with exception to the Laser). Couple the boat with the mixed crew aspect, “C” foils and a completely new bunch of Olympic hopefuls, fantastic. Can I point out that a high percentage of the podium were all Hobie 16 Champions. To quote a friend “that is One Design Racing for you!”
The Future. F18, F16 or A-Cat whatever you decide to sail, great. They are all similar boats. Hi tech, expensive and complicated. On the outer the little Hobie 16, the opposite of all those things (well it can be complicated in a way!) Don’t change the Hobie 16 and I feel it will die a long slow death.
What do I think needs to happen. Firstly the 16 needs a 2013 Makeover. Square Top Main, loose foot and adjustable outhaul. The inclusion of the adjustable downhaul has been great. It has really made the boat more user friendly for a wider weight group of Racers. The ST Main, and outhaul would I believe add to this refinement. It would also make the boat look better on the beach. Of which is so important to attracting the younger generation. Secondly Hobie especially in Europe has to drop the spinnaker. Promote the boat as a 2 Sail One Design Racer. A Catamaran Class where the racing is ultra close, competitive and fun! Not a F16 nor a mini F18, just a Hobie 16.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 16 Future
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

I was all ears until the suggestion of changing the one-design...

Hobie EU had pushed spinnaker for youth. That I never agreed with either.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New sails would for sure cause a divide... and with a new boom and???? wouldn't be "cheap"

and essentially in one quick swoop seriously obsoleting all the old (already not really competitive) great boats for beginners and those just sticking a toe in the water...

But it sounds like fun to me.... And updated looks would go a long way IMO....

hummmmm.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

this is all very sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 16 is perfect. Don't touch it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gavin forgets back when he worked for Hobie Europe,he was pushing the spi for the 16.

My reply to Gavin's post on his web page wwwcattraveler.com

I seem to recall you were one of the guys pushing for the spi on a 16.
I can say with pretty much certainty that if you introduced the square topped main on the 16 here in N.A. It would not be a slow death ,it would pretty much do the class in.Hell most racers have not even put the new 6:1 down haul on there boats here.
Inclusivity is the way to go,most of the boats that compete at the weekend regattas here are 15 years old or older.Try convincing them to come out and race against guys with square topped mains.
The Hobie 16 is what it is a simple ,fast fun boat to race and sail.It has been a great training boat for a lot of World Class sailors.Like advertised,simple enough for novices to sail,demanding enough for World Champions.
The 16 like the Laser is a easy boat to sail but both are very hard to sail right.I have been racing both classes for 30 + years and I am still finding new and better ways to sail it.BTW Gavin thanks for the tip about gybing facing forward.Has improved my gybing a great deal.No longer need for the crew to tell me when the jib collapse.Also allows me to see exactly where I am coming out of the gybe,which is very important in waves.
In my option the 16 has and will continue to age gracefully.It really is a timeless design.Still get a thrill of its sports car feel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lots of good input and the one thing I agree with to keep the 16 around is to improve the looks of the boat on the beach. Say what you will but without recruiting young sailors the sport and boat will die a slow death. And youth loves the graphics, look at todays skateboards, kiteboards, windsurfers, cars, etc, etc. They're designed to look as exciting as they are. Different colored panels on white hulls are retro 60's and 70's, a simple splash of graphics on the hulls that transition up to the sails would be huge, and the kids would love it! My two cents but when my boat had bare white hulls with baskin robins lookin sails it got no attention, a few decals and a set of interesting sails and I'm always answering questions and taking people on rides with the same result. "Wow, I didn't know these were so much fun, how much does it cost to get one?"

I know I know, they would cost more, but if they sold more wouldn't it be worth it?

Sorry, I got on my soapbox.......

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What makes your fleet a success?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=48468

Would the answer really be a square-top?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No changes necessary!!! Just consider the number of other one designs out there that are strong that have not had changes. Some are not even being manufactured any more and there are very strong fleets - consider the DS and Tarten 10 - fleets across the country and you couldnt buy a new one if you tried. Other Oldies but goodies - Rhodes 19, Lightning, Optimist, and the list goes on. As long as you have a quality boat to have fun adn race, you'll find a following. Hobie 16s are pleantiful, fun with a ton of parts around on the cheap. Those three alone will make for a strong long term following.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The America’s Cup is proving successful for New Zealand, and not just in the actual racing.

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/business- ... eo-5519953

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm all for cosmetic changes. New hull graphics and printed sails (like the ones in europe) would go a long way and not change the performance or class rules.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Being a very happy HC16spi sailor, i love upgrades on the HC16 that makes it more fun ,faster and challenging to sail.
A few month ago i did a serious test of the square top sail from www.forward-sailing.com It was faster i all conditions,pointing higher ,loose footed
fitted on the traditional mast /boom and cheaper then a Hobie mainsail.
In Denmark nobody sails HC16 classic anymore ,is has been a smooth non dramatic transformation .The HC16spi class is now full of young sailors and there is an Olympic perspective with the 3 sails -if you want to gear up to Nacra 17 later on.
I don't have any relations to Forward Sailing, but i was curious to do a "myth busting" test .If you care to read the article in Bådnyt magazine i will be happy to mail it (its in danish...sorry)