Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone recommend an effective beach cart for the TI? I live in Thailand and take my TI over the sand regularly. Right now I have the heavy duty cart without the sand tires and the add-on support rack for hard surfaces and am looking to invest in a new cart for beach launching. I'd love to make one like other owners have done, but I don't have time or easy access to appropriate resources. So, I am looking at the Wheeleez Kart Beach (strange name) or the Hobie Trax. However, the tires on the hobie trax look a little small - particularly when compared to the Wheeleez kart.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these karts or any additional recommendations? Does the Wheeleez cart work with the Amas attached and/or folded?

Thanks in advance for any help other users might have!

J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

This is the best option for rolling a TI across sand. We use the 42cm Wheeleez wheels for this dolly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with Bcastile - just launched my TI for the first time with the heavy duty cart with beach wheels and it performed amazingly. Lightweight, easy to maneuver and attach, and significantly reduced the manpower required to pull the boat over the beach. The cradle also helps to protect the boat from deformation or scupper damage caused by the inadequate plug in style carts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your speedy replies - very useful to have experienced insight.

I think the big cart pictured above is a behemoth and will definitely prove the most effective for my needs. My concern is the size and price. I would like the option of taking one of these carts with me on the TI for getting up the next deserted (hopefully) beach I come across. I am looking for that perfect piece of equipment that does almost what the big cart does, but is also useful for trips in the boat.

I appreciate the mention of concern for the plug in carts. I did buy the recommended accessory for the plug in (a 6 inch wide piece of molded fiberglass or plastic that sits on the base of the plug ins to provide better weight dispersion. That was a very important piece.

In your opinion, would the hobie Trax (plug in) offer significant gains from my current heavy duty plug cart or should I go with the behemoth you have both mentioned? Can it be easily disassembled and tied to the trampolines for the next beach?

Do you think that something like what wheeleez offers a reasonable compromise between the two? It is not a plug in (which I assume has some advantages and disadvantages, but it looks like it could work for a TI and does seem to fold up rather nicely if transport on the boat needs to be an option. Has anyone used this cart or a cart like it? In the opinions of others, is this a superior or inferior.

Here is the Wheeleez cart: http://www.wheeleez.com/kayak-cart-beach.ph

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Trax 2-30 would work well 80043001. his has 30 CM flotation tires. This would be a significantly easier cart to use in soft sand than the smaller wheeled Trax 2 due to the TI weight.

You also need the add-on cradle 80044202 to disperse the TI load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great advice, Matt! Do the tires fit the standard plug in frame? Can they be purchased separately? I'm also finding stock of the cradle to be difficult to locate in my area - any advice?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Thanks very much. That is exactly what I want. The difference in the size of the tires is going to be significantly better.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The TI seems to drag fairly easy over sand. Does it really make that much if a difference with the big tires?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 am 
Site Admin

surferhunterguy wrote:
The TI seems to drag fairly easy over sand. Does it really make that much if a difference with the big tires?

Absolutely! Much easier to near effortless.

These tires require a longer axle, so will not fit the older frames.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Bcastile wrote:
This is the best option for rolling a TI across sand. We use the 42cm Wheeleez wheels for this dolly.

This one is REALLY a lot easier. No need to lift or roll the boat on it's side to load. Better weight displacement on the larger cradles and tires.

80046200 HOBIE DOLLY, AI/TI BEACH-TIRE

Kinda large, so the plug-in is nice due to the compact size. If I had both on a beach... If I had a choice... i'd use the dolly for sure. It is just that much easier. Like having a hand truck to move a box.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt. I had saved my original plug in cart with beach wheels when I recently upgraded from an AI to a TI thinking that it would work, but you're right that it is just not up to the task. The larger dolly with cradle is as you describe - nearly effortless but has the drawback of not being transportable. Looks like my plug in cart is going up for auction so I can upgrade to the newer model for those times I'm looking or needing to take wheels with me!