Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shrouds and Bridles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my 1983 H14T with furler jib, I finally got around to replacing some of my worn rigging. When I replaced my shrouds, my existing bridle wires were not long enough to fastenbut they are in great shape. I measured the length of the new shrouds and they were the correct length but were shorter than the old ones. My guess is that the former owner replaced the shrouds with some pre-1982(?) shrouds and had shorter bridles on the boat. When I had been stepping my mast, I had been fastening my shrouds in the 7 hole and after fastening my bridles had been adjusting my shrouds to the 5 hole. Apparently, I have been sailing with a negative mast rake. What I did was attach 10 hole adjusters on the side rails and move my 7 hole adjusters to the front. After this, I was able to step in the 7 hole on the shrouds and hook the front up in the 3 hole. Then I moved down to the 5 hole and move my "bridle length adjusters" up to the 5. I just wanted to sail quicker and try to be in the envelope. I should be set at the original mast rake at this point or am I out of line. I now have room for some additional rake. Thoughts or comments.

Post subject: Re: Shrouds and Bridles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Negative mast rake" meaning you mast was leaning forward? How long is your pigtail and swivel at the top of the jib?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, not forward, just more toward vertical than it should have been. The longer shrouds would not let the mast lean back to where it should have been.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Generally a Hobie 14 sails best with mast raked as far aft as possible. Better pointing, less pitch pole. Turbos with heavier skippers may come forward a little, but not much I'd think.

Bounds?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt. I think the wrong rigging had me baffled. My boom wasn't getting anywhere close to the blocks, but now it is. If I rake any further, my eyelet on the mast step will be hitting into the mast step link. I think that's as far as I need to go. 155 #.