Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I were out in our TI sailing in moderate winds when we noticed that the mast was wobbling. Further inspection revealed that the mast was not seated all of the way into its fitting and was coming partway out when the wind picked up. We were able to close the sail and make it home using foot-power; some bungees we had onboard made me a little more secure in terms of not worrying about the mast coming all of the way out and falling into the water!

We we got back to the dock we were still unable to get the mast to sit properly into its space. After getting the boat out of the water, I saw that there was a fair amount of water in the space where the mast goes--perhaps 1/3 of the way up. I removed the water with a pump but I have not gotten a chance to see if the mast now fits properly. As far as I can see the mast itself is undamaged and the lever mechanism in the mast fitting seems to be OK. The water may have gotten into the space the night before when we removed the mast in fairly choppy water after sailing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone think that water in the mast space can keep the mast from being properly seated, or should we get the mechanism checked out by the store where we bought the TI.

Thanks for all of your help--this is a great forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The two most likely problems others (and I) have encountered is either something in the mast-cup stopping the mast from seating properly, (white balls from the race?) including maybe some of the 4 screws holding the mast cup pin coming loose at the bottom.

The other more likely possibility is the mast spool breaking free of the mast and riding up. If so, it needs to be re-epoxied back in the correct place.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you seat the mast, make sure the retention lever is over and holding it in place. Pull up on the mast. If it won't come out, you're good.

Expect some slop side to side. The mast isn't a perfect fit either in the bottom socket or the mast race, but that allows it to furl and unfurl easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get a flash light and look down the mast receiver. Make sure the screws are not backing out. If they back out they hit the bottom of the mast and it can not sit on the peg. I fixed my using some epoxy:
http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/2011/10/ai-mast-repair.html

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for these suggestions which I will follow when I try to sail next weekend.

One more question--does anyone think that water in the mast-cup is sufficient in itself to prevent the mast form setting properly?

Thanks again for all of the great advice I have received in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rhyolken wrote:
One more question--does anyone think that water in the mast-cup is sufficient in itself to prevent the mast form setting properly?

No. Anytime I sail with enough chop to splash water over the deck mine fills up.

When you remove the sail the water level drops in the cup by the displacement of the mast that was in the cup so it's only about a third full of water.

My mast even gets several ounces of water inside of it so much tends to sit in the cup.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We had a chance to inspect the mast, mast cup, and locking mechanism on land. There is nothing in the mast cup which would keep the mast from sitting properly. We are able to get the mast in to the mast cup at what looks like a normal depth although the mast seems more wobbly than usual. When we pull up the mast with moderate force we are able to pull the mast out without moving the level. It looks to us that the spring which holds in the locking mechanism is weak. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be repaired?
Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions we have received in this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a screw, that holds the plastic piece that locks the mast, down. Check to be sure it is sill there and not too loose. There also should be a screw where that piece pivots. Both should not be too tight to bind, but tight enough not to seem loose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It needs to be lubed too. And it has a spring (?)

Even when it's functioning "normally" it's still a pretty poor retainer design. Keep an eye on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rhyolken be assured that the water in the mast cup is not the problem - the mast is way too heavy for the water to displace it. if you haven't done so already check that you don't have a small pebble or other object stuck in the hole at the base of the mast - anything lodged in there would prevent the mast from seating correctly on the mast pin.

If your TI is still under warranty and you have not solved the problem then I would take it back to the Hobie dealer for assistance in resolving the issue.