Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, I decided to use West System 105/206 for a hull repair, bottom job.

Sure lots of folk recommended that I use Polyester resin and indeed I purchased some Blue Gee resin.
But I am up against the clock as wish to take the boat on our holiday leaving this Friday.

I dismantled the hull from the tramp frame, it came off surprisingly hassle free after a couple of knocks with a rubber mallet.
This hull appears to have been repaired in the past and I suspected epoxy had been used for this, i didn't want to take the chance with polyester resin as I understand that Poly resin does not adhere to epoxy but epoxy will adhere to Poly resin and being against the clock decided on epoxy resin.

Link to Polyester vs Epoxy thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48553

So my question is what can I use as a paint?
Looking for something quick, easy and cheap.

I intend to do a complete overhaul of the boat on my return, including stripping the old decals buffering up the original gell coat etc

Kind Regards,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spray paint is quick, easy, and will do the job. Appliance spray paint would be preferred. You really just need to block the UV light as this will break down the epoxy over time (the repair will turn yellow).

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was in the same situation as you. However, my situation was a hull deck/side repair. I used automotive spray paint in a can to cover the area. This would seal it and protect it for the season. I plan on repainting the entire pontoon with a 2 part urathane automotive paint at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

When going over cured epoxy with anything (even another layer of epoxy), you need to remove the amine blush that forms when it cures. The amine blush is the waxy, slick surface finish that is intensified in high humidity, when the cured epoxy may look "foggy".

Sanding or washing with soap and water will remove it. Sanding's better, since it profiles the surface for a better bond with the next layer.