Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok go ahead and laugh,

So I have owned a Hobie Tandem Island for two years. I love it. I think it's an amazingly fun boat. I've been looking around at a lot of more "pure" sailboats mostly, the Melges C scow, CL16 and Hobie Cats.

I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube and am intrigued by the wildcat. So would moving from a TI to a Wildcat be like moving from a bicycle to a formula one race car? Or like being a civilian put in charge of a space shuttle mission.

Is it possible to sail the wildcat casually as well as at screaming speed? Can a normal human being sail a wildcat, or do you need one of the silver Luna Rossa unitards designed by Prada in order to handle the boat effectively?

Hey, I figure, in for a penny in for a pound.

I'm just doing my research. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Wildcat can be sailed as a recreation boat. It is definitely a 2 person boat till you really know what you are doing. You will need some help in learning the basics of how to sail it and from then on it's a learning curve till you are comfortable with it. In just under a month I had 6 guys sailing Wildcats and Tigers in the Philippines with no real issues. If you get one you may want to get a smaller sail plan till you are up to speed.

Any questions feel free to contact me here or my Email.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a TI, then a Getaway. Sailed it for 2 years then bought a Wild Cat. I am self taught and feel that I did it the right way. If I had someone available to teach me on how to sail a Wild Cat, going from a TI to a WC would be ok. So, if you can find someone to take some lessons from buy then Wild Cat and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can it be done? Yes.
Should it be done? Hmmm

Wildcat parts are expensive. Learning to sail a boat like that is surely going to have incidents.

Unless you have money to burn, why not try a much more durable and less expensive to fix H18 or something similar as a stepping stone for a year or two.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing it isn't going to be a problem for you. Sailing is pretty much sailing, although you'll have another sail to deal with which makes tacking just a bit more hectic, at least if you're going to do it singlehanded and do it well.

The biggest thing you'll have to adjust to is using a boat without a mirage drive. The Hobie Islands will spoil you because there's never any issue with launching or landing. You furl the sail and pedal away, or back onto the beach or to the dock. A "real" sailboat is going to require you to do a lot more thinking about how you're going to leave shore or return there. If the mainsail on the Wildcat can't be dropped on the water, it's another thing you'll have to factor in when launching or landing.

I went from an AI to a TI to a Trifoiler, and now have a Weta as well. Sailing these more recent editions has never been a problem. It's the launching and landing that takes practice and thought. The particular place where I use them has only a 40 to 50 foot beach area tucked back behind a spit. Hitting it when there is strong breeze crossways and the centerboard and rudder have to come up 65 feet out remains a challenge. So does getting them off the shore into an oncoming wind when you have 30 seconds worth of immediate work and only 15 seconds to do it all in.

Two things will happen if you buy the Wildcat - First, you'll have a tremendous amount of fun sailing it, and second, you'll grow an even greater appreciation for the genius behind all aspects of the Island boats.

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the way you think!!!!

But I would play around on a cheap old 16 before springing for a Wildcat...

That is a lot of boat to just make beginner mistakes on for fun...

Wait until you have enough skill to smash it up really good would be my thoughts... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wildcat is in the formula 1 catageory and the sailing kayaks are in the tricycle category. Jumping up to a wildcat would be a bad choice IMO. Your skills are nowhere near where they need to be to handle this boat and you will likely have less fun on it than you would on a more "moderate" catamaran. Cats are inherently fast and thrilling and will provide much more speed and excitement than your TI in a breeze. I would look at a Hobie 16, 17, 18, Wave, or Getaway as a much better choice for a first cat. They are more robust, less expensive, more user friendly, and overall a much better choice for a first cat. The first time you take the Wildcat out in a breeze and it gets out of control or you smash your new $20k toy into the rocks or a dock, I suspect you will really regret the decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pull the mirage drive in your AI/TI and sail it that way. Will give you a much better idea what you'll be dealing with in a "real" sailboat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

srm wrote:
I would look at a Hobie 16, 17, 18, Wave, or Getaway as a much better choice for a first cat.

+1

You will also get hit with increased rigging time -- from 10 min for your TI to some 2h for the Wild Cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate the feedback!

I was/am fully prepared to hear "are you insane.?"

I just wanted to discuss this notion: if I were to buy a new 16, which costs 10,399 dollars (according to my dealer...). 10gs ain't a small sum. That's a lot of bread. And when I think about it, if I'm going to drop 10gs I don't want to regret not getting the best boat possible. This may sound completely ridiculous, but spending 10k on a sailboat is insane, and at that point is there huge difference between 10 and 24 if I would regret not getting the best one.

From the posts, I think the answer is so much more complex than that. The Wildcat while fascinating, seems way beyond my abilities (but I live on a lake).

lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leelanauX wrote:
... if I'm going to drop 10gs I don't want to regret not getting the best boat possible.

Best for what? The Wildcat is not necessarily the best boat. It's best for some things, but for quick setup, solo rigging, beach launching, etc it's probably not. Sure it's the fastest, but if you only sail it half as often, are you really better off?

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have one also... if it lived at the water with the mast up and someone else paid for it. That doesn't work for me, though.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting thing about boat speed sensation is that it's often relative to the size of the craft. You might find that a Wave is just as thrilling as a Wildcat, at least for awhile.

Good points made here about set-up time as well. As any novelty wears off, long set up time can deter you from sailing nearly as often as if you had a boat that is quicker to set up. I still sail my TI more often than my other boats because I can go at the drop of a hat and be set up and on the water in less than 15 minutes after arriving at the launch. Same with packing up to go home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

leelanauX wrote:
I appreciate the feedback!

I was/am fully prepared to hear "are you insane.?"

I just wanted to discuss this notion: if I were to buy a new 16, which costs 10,399 dollars (according to my dealer...). 10gs ain't a small sum. That's a lot of bread. And when I think about it, if I'm going to drop 10gs I don't want to regret not getting the best boat possible. This may sound completely ridiculous, but spending 10k on a sailboat is insane, and at that point is there huge difference between 10 and 24 if I would regret not getting the best one.

From the posts, I think the answer is so much more complex than that. The Wildcat while fascinating, seems way beyond my abilities (but I live on a lake).

lol

You can get a really nice older cat for $2-3k that would be just as fun and quicker to set up. You don't need to buy new with cats. I have a great 1983 H18 that I have under $2k invested in and it is fun.

What you want to do with the boat is really the determination of what is the best boat for you. If you plan to race or just sail fast across the lake it will make a difference. Do you want to sail solo or with a crowd, setup time is also a big factor.

Let us know what you want to do and we can better guide you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"Two hour rigging time" for the wildcat (???!) seriously?

Well, for me that would answer the question. (2 hours)...?

I'm looking for a boat, not a part time job... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are so many ways a 16 is going to be more 'fun" to sail than a Wildcat...

It is going to be faster to set up, take down... Easier to take out new crew and not overwhelm them with things to do... More fun to just go for a Sunday afternoon sail....

Then... A wildcat is fast... So... This means it is also smooth.. Which sometimes may or may not feel as fast as something like a H16, especially on a lake.. Sometimes it is just fun to bounce around.. Driving something "slow" fast is often more fun than driving something "fast" slow....

I picked up a H18 to use as a beach boat... They are great boats... I sold it and upgraded stuff on my H16 honestly because even though the H18 might be "faster" it is to much of a Cadillac for me compared to the "vette" H16...

For heavens sakes... How fast do you think you have sailed your TI.... At most.. seriously...

A H16 will run 20mph plus all day long in 16mph winds and above...(my best GPS recording is 24.6mph, but consistently show 23-24 mph.) and a H16 provide you 95% or more of the experience you are looking for... at a fraction of the cost...

Find a used H16 and have fun!!!!