Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kinda new to all this, but when I have to use my paddle it seems like it's to short. Do they make a extension to use with the issued paddles?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seem to be just fine to me. May be for taller guys they would feel short. BTW, I highly suggest buying those rubber gripping doohikeys ... The exact name escapes me ATM, they are like clamping holders - great to mount the stock paddle securely. Something like $8 for a pair.

I zip tied them to the right handle.

A nice plus - with the stock paddle mounted so that the blade surface is horizontal, you can use it as a cutting board of sorts, it ends up being just in the right spot.

Don't rely on stock paddle holding clamp contraption - it is too weak and a small wave can easily rip the paddle off the handle. I also use a length of paracord to secure the paddle to the yak.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Paddles on a PA are really for aux power... tight quarters turning. Not intended to be used as a standard kayak paddle or you would be right. Too short. Most are carrying a half with the t handle and using the new Hobie clip... stowing at the side of your seat and aft for easy access/ Long paddle get in the way of fishing and are not necessary 99% of the time.

Quote:
71119001 PADDLE CLIP PA12

New paddle holder for the Pro Angler. Versatile part threads into existing threaded insert locations to provide secure paddle storage. You can lay the paddle into the holder, push further to snap in or use the shock cord for most sercure storage.

Or get a SUP paddel maybe?

Quote:
23015575-10 HOBIE 3 PC SUP PADDLE

3-piece adjustable length SUP paddle with blade cover. Breaks down and stows in the included bag. Great for a Pro Angler while using the stand-up bar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a multipiece paddle from West Marine and used all the sections to make my outriggers, rear floats and for paddle extensions.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Definitely too short for any real use except in an emergency. An adjustable (telescoping) SUP is the way to go: that way you can use it seated or when standing and sight fishing.

My Hobie paddle hasn't even seen the water and won't ever whilst in my hands. (If I didn't already own a SUP, I'd convert the Hobie paddle into one by chopping the paddle off the thick shaft and drilling holes for the T handle.)

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
I have a brand new pa12. The paddle clip does not have the bungee strap. Should it have come with?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old Timer wrote:
Matt,
I have a brand new pa12. The paddle clip does not have the bungee strap. Should it have come with?

If it's the same as the one that Matt Miller posted pictures above, I would think the strap should come with it. I purchased a new PA14 about 2 weeks ago and all mine came with was the paddle clip that mounts to the side rails. I picked up the new style clip above and it came with the strap. It's my understanding that Hobie is shifting towards using this new paddle clip on all new PA12s and PA14s going forward.

I would give your dealer a call...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with you that the paddle is too short. I use it more than I thought I would. I often fish in marshy areas or where there is heavy grass to the surface. The mirage drive will not go through that and I need to paddle through the thick stuff to get to open water again. I never use the paddle with the T-handle. I too wish they made an extension to the double paddle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a BB 230 cm paddle. The guys at ACK recommended the longer paddle. I riveted the clip that came on the new pA12 to the female end so I can use the handle or make it a full paddle. I then attach it to my rail. The same side my stake out is on.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just put a new 2013 PA12 in garage, learned from last PA.....leaving stock paaddle in wrapper for "just in case" and buying a Accent Versa 240cm kayak /78" to 86" Adjustable SUP paddle.

http://accentpaddles.com/transformer-versa.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also carry a 230cm BB paddle. BB sold me a blank shaft that I mount on one half of paddle with the T handle. Easily converts to a push pole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the Accent Transformer. Probably used it equally as a push pole or stake-out pole with the anchor trolley in the bay. I liked the longer paddle for throwing low braces on returning waves in the surf.