Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is an area I want to try shark fishing at night in the TI. I need some sort of light setup so other boats can see me and to provide some light on the TI. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I'm interested in placing three rod holders pointing up in front of the mast. Has anyone tried that? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well you are going to want to go LED for power conservation. My single best piece advice on that is simply this: go to www.watertribe.com , these guys have the night lighting issue nailed and they are generous with advice.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Surferhunterguy is this the sort of thing you had in mind?
and here's a review of it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLMu9zO8tew[/youtube]
I just purchased this railblaza setup - consists of an extension pole that mounts in a deckmount (railblaza) and a LED light that clips on to top pf the pole - it has 360 degrees or front or rear lighting or low level lighting for extra long life. Light is waterproof and floats light side up if dropped in water so easily retrieved. The extendable pole can be re-tasked as a flagpole or camera mount etc. Pole can be quickly removed and stored in kayak when not required. - really nice setup
You need the following parts:
Tele Pole : http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... 00/193/59/
Light US Coastguard approved : http://www.railblazablog.com/2012/11/27 ... 360-white/
Rail blaza deck mount port : http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/starport/116/59/

and if you want the light to be adjustable to provide more or less light on the TI add a flexible extender : http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... rs/190/59/

During the daytime when not using the light - swap out the camera platform mount and capture the day on video with this : http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... rm/183/59/

Here's the rig in action: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhbJ1LmH9k[/youtube]

have fun with it !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surferhunterguy:
You don't have to spend a lot of money for full navigation lights on a kayak, just a single white light in the rear is legal. Though if you want full lights ( red/green, etc) you can buy an led light set at Walmart, I think they are Atwood, and cost around $25 bucks, and are in the boat accessories isle. That's what I have on my TI and they work great. The kit comes with temporary mounts so you can just get them out of your dry bag and temporarily clamp to the boat if you happen to get caught out after dark. If your hard core and like things neat, tidy, and professional looking, then something like the railblaza is pretty hard to beat, plus it's all geared around fishing accessories, so the mounts can be used for many other things as well. Even with a light setup, it's a very good idea to have a couple good led fairly powerful flashlights on board ( it gets really dark out there) that you will need to spot channel marker bouys and the shore line. A GPS and a non electric compass is also a must have at night. It often gets foggy at night because of the dew point. There is nothing more scary than trying to come in from offshore in fog or pitch black moonless nights, one time we had to use the Helen Keller method to find our launchpoint ( basically land then you go out and land again until we found our car ( the car remote came in handy)).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice - yes! Thanks for the post. I like the railblaza setup. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and more.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I believe a single all-round white light is by far the best in terms of warning others. This will equate to a vessel at anchor, which is appropriate as even if you are not actually anchored, you won't be giving anyone the false impression that you have the ability to manouvre quickly like a powerboat could.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A single, all-round white light on a moving vessel is illegal.

A flashlight or red/green/ and rear facing white are legal. Red and green lights indicate which direction you are heading, critical info for someone trying to avoid you.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not here in Australia it isn't. I guess that is just a fact of life in international forums. We have our steering wheel on the right side of the car (so yours is therefore on the wrong side :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) etc etc.

Another example. here in New South Wales Australia, kayaks require no other safety equipment than a lifejacket! (crazy I know). The regulations state "canoes/kayaks. Exempt from carrying safety equipment on all waters, but hand-held marine radio or mobile phone in waterproof pouchstrongly recommended."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayakman7 wrote:
A single, all-round white light on a moving vessel is illegal.

J

No it isn't.

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, Rule 25 (d) (i) says
"A sailing vessel of less than 7 metres (about 22 feet) in length shall . . . . have ready at hand an electric torch . . . showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

An all-round white is quite acceptable.

The IRPCS are applicable world-wide, including Australia and the USA.

Tony,

Local regulations (especially about safety equipment) are applied within the framework of the IRPCS: the kayak you mention would come under Rule 25 (d) (ii), still requiring an "electric torch" at night.

Conventions may vary.
In the UK the convention is to ignore all rules. They exist only to allocate blame when someone gets hurt!

John