Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA14 track system
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can somebody help me with selecting a track and rod holder system for my Kayak? I have looked at Ram mounts on several of the on line kayak supply houses, but left their sites confused. I am trying to figure out what to buy and am having difficulty determining what goes with what. I saw a video somewhere on this forum of a quick release mount that is used on a track and I think that is the way to go. It sure would be nice if somebody sold a complete kit. Is there such a thing?

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: PA14 track system
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakattack has a great very versatile rod holder that is just being released. They will have a new website up by the end of the month with it available on there. You can call them and get it now. It has a couple of different mounting options. I'm using it with their gear tracks and the heavy duty ball mount. Do a YouTube search for zooka tube. Hope this helps you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JMFJ-found the video. It all makes sense now. The Zooka and ball mount are the way to go. I will be calling them tomorrow.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome. Glad I could help. Luther is the owner and a great guy to deal with. He has helped me a lot. I'll try to get a picture of mine this week with how I set my tracks up with the mounts and such. The yakattack website has a forum that has a lot of great ideas and tips as well right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Really appreciate the help. I have had Hobies since 2006 -Sport and Outback-but never did anything to them; never had the time. I recently retired and bought a PA14 and I fish every day. That said, I think it only makes sense to set this baby up "right" and from what I see these guys have it all! Would love to see your setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My experience with the GearTracs on my first PA12-

I installed 4" GT175's on the mounting boards, on the right I had a Lowrance Mark-4 FF/GPS and on the left I had a RAM 2008 tube rod holder.
I found that when I poled/paddled the boat (while standing), these items got in the way and it took a concious effort to keep from hitting them with every stroke.

Now that I'm rigging my new PA12, I decided to go with 8 or 12" GT90's mounted on the gunnels between the mounting boards and the side rails (using the GT90 FullBack backing rails), this should eliminate the problems I was having on the old boat.
I also have GT90's on my Y/A BlackPak crate system for the Panfish camera pole & VISICarbon Pro light/flag combo.

Quick note- I have to agree with JMFG about Luther Cifers (owner & crazed inventor at YakAttack), I have been associated with him for almost two years (Pro Staff) and consider him a good friend. The guy never ceases to amaze me with the stuff that has hit the market and the stuff that is in the planning/testing stages up in Farmville or still bouncing around in his head.
He is one of the biggest promoters of the sport and his sponsorship can be found coast to coast at charity fishing tourneys.

Good guy & good company!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I watched se earl of his videos and I must say he is quite a spokesman. I fully intend to utilize their products. I am particularly interested in the zooka mount and the quick disconnect base.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Totally agree... Luther = Great Guy!

We carry a number of YakAttack items in the catalog. Gear tracks, screw balls, mighty mount, Visicarbon flag, Panfish. All great stuff. Shown on page 24.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's the exact route I went with my gear tracks on my 14. The holders do get in the way when poling though. While poling on the flats a couple of days ago it was nice nice to be able to loosen the ram mount on the zooka tubes and tilt them out of the way. Held up great to a nice size cuda screaming drag and a decent size mutton snapper pulling in the opposite direction of what I had my rod mounted in. Soon as I get back to NC I'll be able to get my pics going and do a write up. Hopefully have a few more pics after tomorrow to go with the ones I've got so far.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's the exact route I went with my gear tracks on my 14. The holders do get in the way when poling though. While poling on the flats a couple of days ago it was nice nice to be able to loosen the ram mount on the zooka tubes and tilt them out of the way. Held up great to a nice size cuda screaming drag and a decent size mutton snapper pulling in the opposite direction of what I had my rod mounted in. Soon as I get back to NC I'll be able to get my pics going and do a write up. Hopefully have a few more pics after tomorrow to go with the ones I've got so far.