Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner's remorse?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I always wanted to sail so I picked up a 1979 Hobie 16. We sailed it at the place we vacation - Lake Wawasee in Northern Indiana. I had to replace a shroud so I've gone through all the issues or raking the mast in an old boat. I knew an education was coming, just hoping it would not be so quickly after buying the boat, but breaking the mast base while stepping the mast forced the issue.

I have a bit of hull delamination right at the shroud anchor, the length of the anchor bar (5 inches) on both hulls. Before I run for the kerosene and matches, I want to ask about the severity of this issue and if there is a DIY course for remediation. Otherwise, the boat appears to this amateur to be in good shape. The photo is representative of both hulls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99738108@N04/9423453926/

I figured I would ask before falling in the used-boat-blues, kick myself for getting snookered and burn the beast. Thanks in advance,

MSP

Post subject: Re: New owner's remorse?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The delamination you show is really seam separation (yes technically it is delamination, but in the Hobie world, "delamination" generally refers to separation between the fiberglass skins and the foam core). Anyway, this damage is not unique to your boat and has been discussed numerous times on the forum. Basic repair procedure is to spread the seam open, clean as best you can, squirt epoxy into the seam (a shop vac on the drain plug can be used to help pull the epoxy into the joint) then clamp the seam back together. After the epoxy cures, remove clamps and reinstall hardware.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't see anything in those pictures that can't be fixed over a weekend with some basic fiberglass repair skills you can learn on YouTube. Honestly that's not bad for a 30+ year old boat. Just about everything on a hobie 16 can be either fixed or replaced and there TONs of used parts and scraped boats out there. No need to start a fire! Fix it and you'll have a blast with it. :D

...buyers remorse is for people with motor boats : )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As you begin the courtship with your vintage boat, you will likely find a few "secrets". It's part of the baggage that comes with a boat such as this. I don't know what you paid, as previously mentioned, it can be fixed.

My 77 had the same thing happen on the port side (after a bashing about for 4 hours with 3 adults on board, two of which in trap). A few days later, I was taking on a couple of gallons and having more trouble than usual tacking; could not get her to come around. Once dried out, I did the old soapy water trick with a raft pump up the drain hole. Before I even soaped anything, I could hear a not-so-quiet hissing of escaping air. It was glaring! The same separation at the deck/hull seam over the barrel bolt.
Here's what I did. Problem solved 4 years on.

1. I removed the barrel bolt and side stay
2. taped off the bottom of the bolt hole
3. (might be unorthodox...) drilled an 1/8" dia hole 1.5" to either side of the bolt hole but only through the first layer, the deck layer only!! Again, only drilling through the first layer into the small seam created by the delam. The two small holes were also slightly closer to the edge than the actual bolt hole.
4. I then mixed up a batch of west system and filled the bolt hole (dammed with tape), and syringed it into the two small holes
5. hooked a small shop vac up to the drain hole and viola! As the epoxy lowered in the holes, I would add more. I'm pretty sure I drew in a half cup...Likely there are epoxy streaks all over the inside and a puddle in the bottom:)
6. finished with 3 thin ratchet straps over the hull to draw it together and keep the shape
7. last step was to re-drill the bolt hole and a little sanding of the seam, then reassemble

So far so good! But now the other hull is taking on a couple of cups /sail...boo. Well that's the joy of sailing an old boat. Gives me something to do in the off season...

Be sure it is bone dry before you begin a fix.

good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"...buyers remorse is for people with motor boats : )"

This rings completely true as I have a drawer full of t-shirts earned from my first motor boat adventure. After dumpings thousands into the beast, I just sold for about 30% of what I had in it. The chap who purchased it put it on the water, didn't know how to engage the bildge pump and it damn near sank on him. His wife threatened to sue me.

I thank everyone for the replys. I'm going to fix the Hobie, learn something about sailing, and sail the bejabbers out of it. Again, thanks for the help.

And while on topic, the compromise in the lip is the same length as the anchor bar - 5 inches. I know a guy with machine shop connections and figured a longer anchor bar might be in order, but I really don't know anyting about the engineering of the hulls. Therefore, I solicit experienced opinions. If I'm going to have a pair of longer anchor bars fabricated, it would be a simple thing to produce a dozen pair if others might want a set.