Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m a new owner of a 2013 PA-14 and I want to install scotty mount to the inside gunnel of my boat. Between the mounting boards and the metal handles that are installed on the top of the gunnels. I want to install the rod holder flush with the top of the gunnel. I went through the deck hatch removed the foam that supports the seat and standing area and found more foam up in the gunnel which I did not remove. Has anyone removed that foam yet and what is up there? I have noticed a screw on both sides of the gunnel. What does that screw hold in? I want to mount that rod holder between that screw and the metal handle that sits on top of the gunnel. Has any one done that yet. The rod holder is for a little lake down rigger, that fits the scotty rod holder.
Thanks for your help. Rick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I understand the location of the pan head screws you mention......I would not mess with them as they secure the pulleys for the steering spectra line....and possibly the rudder pulleys.
If you remove the foam and use an inspection mirror...might need a flash light too, you can see what is located inside the hull.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rick
I just purchased a 2011 Pro Angler 14 and am thinking about mounting the same downriggers to the mounting boards using the scotty mounts. Is this not an option or is there another reason why you want it mounted where you mentioned. Not trying to question your decision just making sure my decision is doable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In light of recent posting about removal of the flotation blocks.....make darn sure you either label the blocks or mark them so they go back to the same location the factory installed them....they are wedged into location....friction fit.

For my 2013 PA-14 I used Scotty flush mounts for my down rigger and rod holders.
I am right handed, so the mounts are mounted to the mounting boards on the left side of my PA.
Both flush mounts are inset 1/4" from the right edge of the mounting board....this allows use of fender washers on the outer machine screws and there is still enough room to secure the locking nyl-nuts on the inside edge or vertical wall of the kayak.
The center of the hole for the rod holder is 4 1/2" from the bottom edge of the mounting board and the center hole of the rod holder is 11 1/2" from the bottom edge of the board....there is enough room/separation between the rod holder and down rigger to my liking.
I like this spacing as I can easily work the manual down rigger and grab my rod out of the Scotty power lock rod holder.

Lastly, like any project that requires drilling or cutting......do a dry run layout to be sure you like the location, then measure twice... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr. Steel
Sounds like you have a great set up and is what I am looking for. Could you please post some pics? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will take me a couple of day's to do it....going fishing early tomorrow....then need to figure out how to post a photo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lima Eyecatcher.....I had my PA ready to go, so I hope these photo's taken in my garage work for you.
I used a Ram ball mount with a Ram Humminbird base to mount the fish finder/GPS....I really like this mount.
Note the white nylon line on my down rigger is a safety leash.....just in case!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Doc. That is exactly the set I was thinking about. Is there an advantage using the base you used vs the standard bases. Thanks for the pics and info

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you need the extra elevation the standard mount provides or need a mount that allows turning the base 90 degrees, IMO the flush mount is a "cleaner or neater" installation.