Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Restored my Hobie 16 1978 Keoke with help from my Dad. This is the second 16 for us, my other one is a 1983 Tequila Sunrise boat. The Keoke needed a lot more TLC, it was basically a junker left out in the sun and weather for years. We restored the hulls, replaced the tramp with an SLO Sail and Canvas orange vinyl tramp to match the original, cleaned and treated the mast and boom to "re-black" the anodized surface, replaced the Seaway blocks with nicer ones from my 83 boat, all new standing and running rigging, all new hardware through the rudder, tiller, new tiller extension. Removed all hardware, re-caulked and replaced shot hardware where needed, replaced drain plug bases and plugs. Added gooseneck to boom, had to remove end cap rivets and replace (thanks Richard at Wolf's Marine, Benton Harbor, MI)! Bought a better set of sails from Craigslist, cleaned them, installed new battens. Replaced old wrecked solid nylon nuts on pylons with Nylock nuts. Replaced busted cleats and sheaves on the mast. Patched, sanded, and spray painted the nasty hole on the inside of one hull (amazingly the gloss paint we found matched the light brown color of the hull exactly once we polished the hulls with Poliglow. Sailed for the first time this last weekend, was a great handling boat. Glad I did not throw this one out. Bought this boat practically "free" to get the trailer last summer in order to buy the Tequila Sunrise boat (which did not come with a trailer and I did not know anyone who owned one). Wife said "fix it up or throw it out" so I did. Soon to add stripes to match original on hulls, and will try to match original sail numbers. Anyone with ideas about sourcing the old school numbers, please let me know. I can't seem to find them anywhere, only the "Navy" style or more modern Hobie style numbers. Again have to thank my father, another Hobie fan, and Richard in the sail loft at Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor, MI for all his help with the many issues that came up with the boat. He is an amazing resource for Hobies (they are a dealer as well).

Check out the pics, what do you think? We went for a "restored" look and feel rather than upgraded. The mainsheet takes more effort as does the jibsheet, but still fun to sail.

RP

Before:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Showing patched and spray painted hull...after powerwash, patch, sand, and paint, but before policlean and six coats of poliglow.

After:

Hope you like it, we put a lot of work into it. Some discolored areas, naturally, you cant cure everything, but overall looks great. Not bad for a 32 year old boat!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks FANTASTIC and I wish you many days of good sailing - remember your Dad well on Fathers' day

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, he is having fun sailing with me too. He had an 83 '16 when I was in high school. He sold it a long time ago. Last summer, I decided to take out our old Sunfish just for grins, and I had so much fun - then saw a Hobie zoom past and it all came back to me in a flash. I immediately started looking for my own cat. Ended up with two!

RP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 1979 is just like yours. Same hull color, orange tramp and sails. Did you have any separation of hull from the deck at the shroud anchor? I'm making things right before she gets put away for the winter. With a bit of luck, I'll have her out again before that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same hulls and stripe shadows as my '78 had! Black spars, like yours. But I had a tan tramp.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages