Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I located a supplier for corrugated ADS drain pipe and I'm going to pick up a piece this weekend to put on my trailer. I have a couple of question from folks who have built theses...

- Should I get a 10" or 12" pipe? I'm thinking 10" should be fine, but I thought I ask if there is any big advantage to 12". 12" pipe is quite a bit more expensive.

- How did you build end caps for corrugated tubing? I think I can get a factory cap for front end but I need something that opens and closes on the back. Any design suggestions?

- What's the best way to attach it to the trailer?

- Does it need drain holes and/or ventilation?

- What's the best way to cut this ADS stuff?

Thanks!

And if anyone in the Raleigh area is interested in 10' of tubing let me know. I expect I'm going to have to purchase a 20' section.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

- Should I get a 10" or 12" pipe? I'm thinking 10" should be fine, but I thought I ask if there is any big advantage to 12". 12" pipe is quite a bit more expensive.
bigger is definitly better, but sails will fit in 10, so with the price difference, i'd go with 10"

- How did you build end caps for corrugated tubing? I think I can get a factory cap for front end but I need something that opens and closes on the back. Any design suggestions?
i'm not sure about building end caps with the corrugated tube you'll have, but you will definitly want to be able to access both ends, make sure you can open and close your end caps.

- What's the best way to attach it to the trailer?
since it's corrugated, you could just use a metal strap, like this:
i used that with my tube, and mine is just smooth fiberglass.

- Does it need drain holes and/or ventilation?
I'd give it drain holes if the end caps are tight, so no water sits in it. If the caps are loose, they might be good enough on their own.

- What's the best way to cut this ADS stuff?
maybe a sawzall or jigsaw?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never built a sail box using plastic pipe, but I can tell you from my experience, no one has ever complained about a box that's too big. I would go for the 12" diameter pipe. If you've got an old, limp set of sails, you can probably get them to roll up tight enough to fit inside 10" diameter, but if you have or ever get a new set of sails, you will really appreciate the added space of a larger tube. By the time you start trying to squeeze a fully battened mainsail, jib, boom, and blocks into that 10" tube, I think you could end up struggling.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would suggest trying to source a cheaper pipe. I swear mine may even be 15" and it is awesome!

I'm eyeing some large pvc near my house that has been sitting near a construction site....Just ask permission before you take one.

Also, make sure that it isn't super thick. I've seen some of that large pvc that was so thick that I bet it weighed more than my H16.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Zach.

I was going to use PVC but it's x2 the cost of corrugated pipe. The cost goes way up as the diameter increases and PVC fittings are very expensive. I can pick up 10" x 20' corrugated pipe for $75 or a 12" x 20' for $129. Seems like it will work just fine and, as you pointed out, it weighs far less than PVC. I've seen lots of pictures and comments on the forum about corrugated pipe but I can't tell what people are using to make end caps from.

http://www.agrisupply.com/10-X-20-DRAIN ... sid=&eid=/

http://www.agrisupply.com/12-n-12-proli ... sid=&eid=/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just built a tube out of the same thing. I used 12", and copied the caps from a guy on beachcats. Home depot sells two different lids for 5 gal buckets. The black one is exactly the same diameter as the inside of the 12" pipe. The orange one is a little bigger. I sandwiched the two together with a piece of 1"HD foam insulation between them, and bolted around the perimeter to hold them together. Add a hinge and latch, and it actually seals shut pretty tight. For the back, I just screwed a black lid on. I will post pics if anyone is interested. I also have a 10ft section of tube leftover if anyone in the Houston area would like to make one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cbrinkley71 wrote:
I just built a tube out of the same thing. I used 12", and copied the caps from a guy on beachcats. Home depot sells two different lids for 5 gal buckets. The black one is exactly the same diameter as the inside of the 12" pipe. The orange one is a little bigger. I sandwiched the two together with a piece of 1"HD foam insulation between them, and bolted around the perimeter to hold them together. Add a hinge and latch, and it actually seals shut pretty tight. For the back, I just screwed a black lid on. I will post pics if anyone is interested. I also have a 10ft section of tube leftover if anyone in the Houston area would like to make one.

Pictures would be great. The end caps are the major hurdle in making a cheap sail tube. I'm sure many people would like to see what you did.

On a related note, I know of a 10' x 12" pvc pipe section in Orlando if anyone needs one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2h54g1z.jpg[/IMG]
End cap
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/1z3c97a.jpg[/IMG]
Like I said, the fit is perfect, just have to screw it on around the edges. I was worried about a screw sticking through inside so I backed the end up with a second lid on the inside. I just slid it down the length of the tube from the other end. It wasn't easy but I got it there. These lids are only $1.28, so it's cheap insurance.
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33fgg0z.jpg[/IMG]
The size difference of these two lids are about perfect for an inside/outside fit. They just need a spacer between them. I used some of the 1" pink HD foam insulation so I didn't have to worry about it getting wet.
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/mwxfd3.jpg[/IMG]
Heres the black lid on the back.
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2e18xht.jpg[/IMG]
I thought I got this idea off Beachcats, but after looking it up again, It was a post here on Hobiecat, in the open forum.
I only see his pics in google images, I cant find them in the post.