Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking for a trailer for a Getaway that I can park in a garage with a depth of just over 20ft(with mast and rudders off, as I have 28ft of width to store the mast). Ideally something with an adjustable or removable tongue would work, but am not aware of any specific trailers that would work for the Getaway. I've seen the Hobie Trailex trailer at a dealer, but the trailer itself is 20ft long + 3.5ft of the hulls hanging off the back. There was 7-8ft of tongue in front of the hulls that cannot be adjusted.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendation for a trailer that would fit in a 20ft deep garage.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any trailer shop worth it's salt can build or modify a trailer to your specs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just suggesting an alternative -- for a little while i had the same problem. my trailer could fit in my garage and my boat could fit in my garage -- but my boat ON the trailer could not fit (because the boat sat off the back of the trailer about 3 or 4 feet as you mentioned). i built 4 little stands -- pushed the boat into the garage on the trailer then lifted each hull up and put a stand under the bow/stern. given that the getaway really isn't heavy, it isn't hard to lift (it is easier to have someone push the stand under when you lift). once the boat was off the trailer, i could push the trailer the rest of the way in the garage and close the door. this setup worked well - stands made of 2x4 with some old cushions on top for padding between the wood and hulls. it was a little bit of a pain to have to take it down and put it up each time --- but it achieved the goal (ok getting the boat in the garage) just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like idea about pushing the boat forward on the trailer. I could make some stands and just remove the forward mast stand when storing. I know there are some swings that can be placed on the tongue, but I don't believe that they will work for aluminum extrusions like the Trailex uses. Any recommended galvanized steel trailers?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same garage dimensions as you, I use a Genesis trailer. With the boat on the trailer, it fits in the garage at an angle (it is tight, but it works). If you get that trailer, make sure you lower the front castering wheel all the way down so that the mast stand clears the low overhang of the garage door. I also put tape marks on my garage floor where the wheels sit, that makes it very easy to angle it in. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The tongue needs to stick out about 4 feet longer than the front of the boat so you can turn without hitting a hull, so you really can't get below 20 feet long.
You could shove the boat forward on the trailer perhaps, if you don't have a front crossbeam stop.
I used to store a Hobie 17 in my 19 feet long garage...I hoisted it up above the trailer with blocks and straps, and rolled the trailer back under it. The mast lived on a rack outside.
I made a bumpout on the back of the garage when I owned a 17 feet long Thistle.
Now I rent a storage garage for the Getaway. It's 25 feet deep, so the mast is just a bit long to go in straight..I have to angle it to fit.

Too many canoes and kayaks