Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull storage issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys, does anyone have a solution to stop items stored under the seat from sliding back so far I can not reach them while kayaking. I have a 2011 PA14 and when you take out the tray between your legs there is some great storage area but I am worried the items will get out of reach. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Hull storage issue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You talking about storing items inside the PA or on the top deck???

Like my father once told me... " you reach a point in life where you just need to tie a string on it"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about cutting a piece of carpet long enough to make a wall around that area under the floor and wide enough to fit the height of the area under the deck. That would allow you something flexible enough that you could get it down in there and remove it when necessary. You can always take it out to air dry if it gets wet. If you cut it right it should do the trick.

Also, you could probably buy some of those cheap pool noodles and cut them to make a wall under the deck that fits your needs. They could stay in all the time and also provide additional hull flotation that has been suggested in other posts.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the hatch ring and see if there are holes in the support ring. I tie a cord in the hold and then tie the items I need to keep in reach. I also tie my address and phone number in a laminated card in the same area. Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2013 PA-14, so I believe the under seat storage is a bit different from your 2011 PA.....However, I too did not to need to "fish" for my tackle box under the seat or lose it while on the road.
The 2013 PA has a nice adjustable strap and only one tackle box....I bought a second tackle box and then drilled a small hole in the back hinge-mechanical rib, where I attached a small nylon line that is 2.5' long....terminated the other end to a eyelet post under the seat.
On the road, when the strap was cinched up, the tackle boxes would still move forward out of the strap......so I made a simple retainer/stop using 1" OD PVC pipe....the pipe drops down 6" into the scupper holes and will not jump out as the seat is secured in the down position.
I used old wine corks to stuff the PVC pipes in case I dropped the retainer into the water.
If I had forgotten to remove the retainer while fishing, the seat front only need to be lifted up an 1 inch or so and it comes right out of the scupper holes.....
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for all the ideas. Will try a few out and see how it works

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Take some closed cell foam and box in the area, it would add some additional deck support and positive floatation too

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another way to address the sliding issue is to attach an adhesive textured strip to the tackle box.
I didnt do anything special to mine, it is "loose" under the seat yet it doesn't seem to slide around at all.
Of course, in adverse conditions you do want it secured JIC

I have bought a smallish plastic box - it sits the left of the seat, in the nice cavity there and I keep the few lures I actively use, in there, much easier to get to and doesn't require working the latches etc