Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Overall, I'd day the experience was pretty good. When the wind was blowing about 10-12 mph, I was clipping along about 5 mph. My biggest complaint was that I had a hard time sailing close to the wind. I did have my turbo fins straight down with the sailing rudder, but no daggerboard. Also, the sidekicks seem to create too much drag. I'm wondering now how I can improve my kayak's performance. Any suggestions? Or is this as good as it gets without upgrading to an AI/TI?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most sailboats won't sail closer than 45 degrees to the wind. There are a few exceptions but the Adventure/AI isn't one of them. In fact, my guess is that about 48 to 50 is the best you can do with your boat and that sail.

If you pedal while sailing you can change the angle of the apparent wind which will allow you to sail a tad closer to the real wind. It doesn't take much - just a casual pedaling pace will do. Even then, don't expect to get much closer than about 40 degrees to the wind. Then, learn to select your course wisely. You can get anywhere you want to go, but not always in a direct straight-line route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice. I was able to generate apparent wind by pedaling while sailing. I am still a new sailor and getting used to things. The apparent wind fooled me a few times into thinking the wind had picked up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get the daggerboard. I always have the sidekicks in the upper position while sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What does the daggerboard do exactly? My thought is that it helps the kayak track straight and gives it leverage against the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sort of. It prevents leeway, and acts as a foil which generates lift and translates the side force to forward force.

Having that would certainly help you a great deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info, Tom. Sounds like I'll need to get one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

you can also steer under sail by changing the position of the turbo fins.

Down it will steer into wind, push then up to the hull and it will bear away (if that is the technical term)

Or at least it will on my revo.

CC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's interesting, CC.

Does anyone else find that water is coming up through the mirage drive hole when you're sailing pretty fast? Is it better to put the plug in and use a daggerboard?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use both. You'll find the Mirage Drive it a great help when tacking. Boats without jibs can be slow to tack, particularly multi-hulls, so the Mirage Drive is a big plus in powering you through a tack. You won't gain much if anything by removing it while sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer to sail with the miragedrive out. You get that true sailing experience. Pedaling while sailing is great when you are learning but is more like 'motor' sailing which, at least to me, is not as satisfying.
With the drive out you go faster and tack much easier.
The daggerboard option is what makes the Adventure the best sailing kayak. Apart from enabling the kayak to sail into the wind it also adds much to the stability. It slows heeling and gives you more time to adjust your leaning position, so that a capsize is much less likely. I prefer the DB to the Sidekicks and leave it down on all points of sail just for the stability it gives.
If you are serious about Adventure sailing then the larger sailing rudder is another must have.
A furling sail is also a great help, especially when the wind picks up to over 15knots or so. :)
This older post has a video of adventure sailing using just the DB and a furling sail:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19322

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have an AI, and don't upgrade to the full AI big sail etc. then you need the inflatable amas
to sail without the worry of capsizing. Before I got them I went into the drink about 3 times. Since then about 3 months I haven't gotten wet once. Keep them in the high position so you don't create a lot of drag When the boat heels from a strong gust, the inflatable amas drop into the water, both stabilizing and slowing down the speed. Trust me, it's better than going swimming.