Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would be curious if it was possible to turn your PA12 back over once full of water? I would expect not from your post?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jims wrote:
I would be curious if it was possible to turn your PA12 back over once full of water? I would expect not from your post?

I would imagine it would be similar to a swamped canoe, you can flip them over in the water just fine to limp back to shore and get the water out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

svendawg wrote:
setlab wrote:
Just thinking worse case scenario when out on the water, if something should happen and the hull completely fills with water will a PA sink? Or are their built in floats inside the hull to keep it somewhat afloat? I've read some guys put those long pool floats in their PA's just incase.

I started a post like this back on 7-7-13. Here is what I found when I tried to sink my PA-12 in my pool
This is a cut and paste from my post. I hope it help.

I've been searching the forum to find out if the PA-12 will sink if completely full of water. I wanted to know if a catastrophic happened while on the water if staying with the kayak would be worthwhile. I couldn't find the answer, so today I put PA-12 (2012 model) to the test. I put it in my pool, opened all of the hatches, pulled the drain plugs and did everything possible to sink her. I wasn't able to sink her. I forced all of the air out of the hull and climbed on top of her and she still wouldn't go down and I weigh 275#. It's probably because of all the foam pieces inside the hull.
So now I know that if I do happen to capsize and fill the hull with water, I can stay with my kayak and use it for floatation along with my PFD, until help came or I made the decision to swim to shore.
A least now I know what I will be dealing with in the worst case scenario, Plus I now know there will be the possibility of recovering my PA after the event.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. When you were on top of your swamped PA how far was it out of the waterline?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jims wrote:

When it was full of water I had no problem turning the PA over. It was pretty easy because 75% of the yak was below the water. I would say it was about 6" above the water line.
I also crawled on top to see it it would make a good float to stay out of the water while resting or waiting for help but it was not very stable. If I was not perfectly balanced it wanted to roll.

I will say that it took a lot of effort to completely fill it up with water. It didn't fill up just because I capsized it, in fact I rolled it several times practicing re-entries with all of the hatches closed and I only got minimal water inside.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I suggested this once...for any Hobie...maybe include an extra cheap PDF or two in the hull instead of all noodles. Nice to have a loaner or if owner forgets his main PDF like I once!

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

capsized my PA 12 last week on my maiden voyage. I was unable to right it. It did stay afloat so I was able to stand on top and wave someone down. We got it drained and I went on my ay. I was in 20 feet of water for 45 minutes. Lost 2 poles all else was tied down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nutty -

with this scary thing past you, what do you think you should have done differently ? Any equipment you know now you should have had before heading out ?

Lets use your experience to teach the yakers-to-be some common sense.

Was it in fresh water or ocean ? Did u have a marine radio on you ? Any signalling devices ?