Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the part is no longer made, but does anyone have a line on a rubber tiller connector? I'd rather not "upgrade", but instead buy used. Any leads?

Thanks,

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The white tendons, with the nylon thread reinforcements, should be readily available through Hobie. I can mail you my slightly used pair, if you want them.

If you want the original black tendons, I have one (and two halves) that I'd be happy to send you.

Do you need the end-caps as well?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

This is the 90 degree bend piece at the same diameter as the tiller tubes? No longer available since I can't remember when. Early 90's?

You need a longer tiller crossbar to update to the current setup. We have a kit that does this too: #1954 TILLER CONNECTER KIT,WAVE
HEAVY DUTY INCL TLR XBAR

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

IndyWave wrote:
The white tendons, with the nylon thread reinforcements, should be readily available through Hobie. I can mail you my slightly used pair, if you want them.

If you want the original black tendons, I have one (and two halves) that I'd be happy to send you.

Do you need the end-caps as well?

That was fast. I do have all the parts but would like to stick with the old 90's style tendon. It sheared cleanly at the rudder and I could rig something in the meantime. However, I'd gladly take you up on the one you have! How shall we proceed?

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can send me a pm with your mailing address. I'll have to find the parts in my garage (shouldn't take too many years). Actually, I think I know right where they are.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, what I have is shown on page 4 of the parts guide, labeled "Tendon Tiller Connector". I changed mine to the new 1956 elbows a few years ago.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... _Parts.pdf

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IndyWave wrote:
You can send me a pm with your mailing address. I'll have to find the parts in my garage (shouldn't take too many years). Actually, I think I know right where they are.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, what I have is shown on page 4 of the parts guide, labeled "Tendon Tiller Connector". I changed mine to the new 1956 elbows a few years ago.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... _Parts.pdf

We are in fact talking about different things. However, to upgrade to the modern style if one of the old flexible rubber 90 degree elbow tendons doesn't materialize, I'll stil be glad to take the tiller connectors you have in the garage. I'll pm you the address. Other than new standing rigging and the cam kits, this boat has held up well for it's age. I do need to do a little maintance now as it needs standing rigging again ( a few burrs), velcro tramp fasteners, new tramp line (burrs again), and a new sail at some point. However since it's my father in law's boat, I'm reluctant to do it all myself. Likely I'll leave the sail for later.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone done the upgrade kit and kept the old rubber elbow connectors?

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish Hobie would sell these black rubber elbows again. I like them a lot for their simplicity and for how well they work.
I have a 1998 Wave with these elbows still on it, but I'm not sure how much longer they are going to last.

Who made them for Hobie? Maybe we could by them direct from the manufacturer?

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

It was our product and our design. No supplier had them. During a phase of limited engineering staff in-house. Might be better if we did it again today, but we don't have that in our plans. I loved them too, but they had some issues. Flex changes rudder alignment. Raising rudders torqued them hard. Especially with one up and one down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Regarding the Old Style connectors. Do yourself a favor and UPGRADE to the new style. Yes its a $75 part BUT when you blow one of the old ones, actually both at the same time up like I did 1/2 mile from shore in 20-25kts of wind making it nearly impossible to get back to the beach you will wish you did. Its an easy install and is a great design no more slop in the cross member and taking apart couldn't be easier. Kuodos to Hobie for this simple design.