Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to Hobie 18 and relatively new to sailing, My main halyard line broke recently, so I was thinking of using a thin wire and attaching the new line via tape so that I could thread the line through the mast. The mast will be on the ground. Also, the sail is newly sewn along the edge and the combination of the line and sail inside the mast makes is a really tight fit. I'm using silicone spray along the edge and was thinking about changing from the suggested 1/4 inch line to a 3/16 line - does anyone have any suggestions here. Thanks Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the mast is on the ground this is easy. I feed the line in thru the pulley at the base. Take a screw driver thru the slot and pull the new halyard to the top. Its sometimes a bit tricky to get the line thru the upper pulley. Use a good line like excel racing or something with a spectra type core, especially if downsizing line. Pre-stretched or no-stretch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It seems you are talking two different lines. If the sail was recently stiched are you talking about that line inside the sail as well as the halyard that pulls the head of the sail up from inside the mast? The 1/4 inch suggested halyard easily fits inside the mast- not sure of the line inside the sail but raising the sail is going to be snug. And you wouldn't want to risk having it slip out at 15 knots while out on a wire. On the 18 it really helps to have 4 hands to raise it- I used 3 separate coats of silicone(letting them dry between) and that made a world of difference, plus pointing in the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim,
One other suggestion is to use Sailkote instead of silicon. Sailkote is a dry lube that really makes the luff slick. I also use it on the traveler, rudder cams and spin snuffer/sail. Spray your luff track good several times while down, you will be surprised how much easier raising the main will be. I raise mine with one pulling and another feeding the sail in the luff track. I have removed the flapper on all my masts, I hated that thing. Makes it easy to drop the sail but a pain in the butt to engage, just turn the mast port to engage and starboard to disengage without it.