Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checking for leaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are some of the common failure points for the TI hull? My TI has been taking on water on my last few trips so I decided to do a leak check today. I pumped in some air and did the soap test... nothing (with the exception of the large hull compartment). I went over the entire hull inch by inch, inside and out. I pressed on the hull around the drive wells... no cracks. To be honest I was quite impressed with the integrity of the hull. I have a 2013 and it looks like everything was reinforced well. My last two trips where in calm water, so no water came over the bow. I'm stumped. I appreciate any help, thanks folks!

Also, what are these on the bottom of the hull. Possible leak point?
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Checking for leaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are just covers for brass inserts that either anchor parts on the inside or are used to attract more plastic to an area while in the mold. Mostly cosmetic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob. I was curious if those where possible leak locations. When I checking inside the hull those locations corresponded to an area of thick plastic. Like I said the integrity of the hull seemed great, that is why I am so stumped on water intrusion on a calm day. I don't know... maybe the drain plug wasn't in all the way. I am going out tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

-Kurtis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Could be scupper hole damage, or a crack under your seat. Those things are hard to find.

Sometimes the footwell cracks don't reveal themselves unless you're pedalling.

I would do my next test on the water, with sets of dry towels in the hull. Go for a sail and a pedal for about 20 minutes and check them out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went out today. Emptied a gallon of water out of the hull after a 2 hour, very wet ride. I think the leak is near my aka braces... had a lot of water come over the bow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most likely it is just the front hatch seal, but keep at it to be sure.

You may also want to feel around inside the front hatch area. We have discovered quit a few with cracked "cups" where the molded plastic parts are screwed in, especially where the front hatch bungees are mounted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem in the last 2 rides. calm water but had 2 gallons for 3 hours trip. now thinking about a decent bilge pump first.

have just passed the warranty. do you think hobie will replace or at least fix the hull if it really cracks?

I'm from hong kong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

The warranty is for two years, but simply file a claim. We (or in your case... Australasia) can review. If there is a fix we can let you know. If not we can consider coverage if it is deemed a manufacturing defect.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you do a pressure test and still can't find the leak.
One thing you can try to eliminate the possibility of the front hatch being the problem would be completely seal the outside of the hatch with masking tape to seal it then go out. If you come back with a lot of water in the hull then you for sure have a crack somewhere else that you will have to find and fix.
I know on my TI when it gets heavy, my stern goes under quite a bit, and if the rudder line guide tubes are not neatly tied to the underside of the rear hatch, they may leak water. If they are tied up high they create an air bubble that prevents water from coming in thru the tubes.

I know on my TI if it's a real calm day I will get no water at all in the hull. On a heavy sailing day where waves go over the bow a lot, I will get about 2 cups in the hull, which I think is pretty normal on TI's. I have spray skirts and the seem to help a lot. If you are getting a couple gallons changes are your leak is below the waterline I would start looking there, especially in the mirage pockets.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

9 Months later and I found the leak! Granted I did give up a while ago. I happened to find it by chance. I saw water coming out of it while cleaning the inside of my TI. It is in a scupper hole under the seat. The molding from the top and bottom part of the kayak are off center and don't match up well. Looks like it created a weak point and a crack. I can't believe it took me this long to find it. I still have a few months left on my warranty. Hope to get it fixed soon...fishing season is about to fire up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great you kept at it (sort of) and finally found it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wanted to share information about a leak I found and that I (unknowingly) caused.

I was also experiencing 2-3 gals of water inside my TI even after coming back from trips on calm water. The source of the leak had baffled me for the longest, and I would come here for any information on areas to check for leaks. I saw the latest post by fsukurt about checking the scupper holes near the sits and what da ya know...I found the leak! I have attached links to photos of the damaged area and the type of seat locks I have.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/pinoy ... sort=3&o=2 (Link to the type of sit lock I have)
http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/pinoy ... sort=3&o=1 (Link to the damaged area)
http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/pinoy ... sort=3&o=0 (Link to the damaged area close up)

I should have known better, but I was storing my TI with the seats installed and the locks expanded in their respective holes. I am thinking that over time the plastic areas used for securing the seats had been weakened by the pressure applied by the seat locks. Shame on me for that, but it was definitely a lesson learned, and something I think is worth sharing, so others can learn from my mistakes. Thanks everyone for sharing solutions and asking the questions that allow us to be innovative and to troubleshoot issues we all come across. Take care.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a common problem on some boats (thin plastic) but with an easy fix. Just purchase a PV pipe cap that fits over it (3/4" should) and fill with a compatible epoxy for the hull material (West Systems G-Flex is one) and press into place from the inside. When dry, no more problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to hear that you found the leak! However, while looking at the picture, I hit the back button, and discovered your really cool beach launch trolley!

I really think many here will be interested to find out more details! Sorry to hijack the thread.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks tonystott. Glad that leak was found because that one took me a while to find. I even tried filling up the inside of the kayak with water to see if any water leaks and that leak didn't even show.

Lol...that cradle/cart in the picture(s) you saw was born out of necessity. I had purchased an all aluminum boat dolly manufactured by Castlecraft Trailex, so I could transport the TI across lengths of soft beach sand. That purchase was before sun-E-sailor (another forum member I sure you know about) invented his kayak cart, or Hobie came out with theirs, so instead of purchasing another cart for $400+, I decided to cannibalize the boat dolly for parts and integrate them as part of the front cradle. I got that idea from another thread on this forum that many have contributed a lot great ideas to. :idea: Thanks to everyone on here for that. :)
This is the first year I have used it, and so far I have used it once. It is by far much easier than my old method of transporting on the boat dolly, probably because of the low center of gravity this newer cart provides. The boat dolly costs about ~$500, hence the reason I did not want to dump more funds than I need to, but to keep this short and to not take away from this thread, it all worked out.