Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We (my wife and I) ordered a getaway and decided to assemble it ourselves. We had three weeks of waiting for its arrival to research everything about putting it together. There were a couple of things I never found, so I'm putting it out here for future researchers.
First question: What does a Getaway look like from the factory?
This:

And with all the parts unboxed:

Most of the basic assembly has been well documented, and it really is as easy as it looks. The only problem we had was wrestling the three cross beams into the hull. That was a lot harder than it looked. With a neighbors help, it took three of us to get it all lined up and fully seated. Getting the assembly trailer ready only took two of us about 6 hours.

The next mystery was the mast epoxy. This is the mast masked off, ready to glue. The epoxy is the little bag next to the mast. You remove a divider in the bag, and mix the two resins together. Then just spread on and in with a small brush.

The mast slid in very easily, I was surprised how loose it still was after fully seated.
Notice the blocks to level the mast. I then used a straight edge to check the luff track alignment.
Take note, you have to wait 24 hours after this step, so don't plan to assemble and sail in the same weekend like we did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how the "boxed" Hobie is constructed, very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very cool! I'm considering assembling a Getaway myself as well. Can you tell me what trailer that is in the picture?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How much did it cost you for EVERYTHING ? (including shipping and tax)

I want to buy one too but I did not realize it was going to be $13 K here in Colorado !!!