Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

aussieonyak wrote:
av8erdunn I'm biased towards the TI and have never owned or sailed a Getaway - so I have nothing bad to say about the Getaway or a comparison of the two. I have a TI and before that an AI and I also have a Hobie revolution kayak. It really gets down to what you want to do on the water. Many island owners use their boat to also go fishing or snorkeling or scuba diving or cave exploring or river adventures - I didn't hear you mention any of those other activities so having the flexibility to do them may be of little interest to you and your family - and that's what counts the most.

But lets suppose you decide on a TI and 6 months down the road you realize that was a big mistake and you really want a getaway - the good news is the Hobie TI's are really hot property and hold their value extremely well - its not like buying a car - - you will get most of your money back if its in as new condition - so the downside of having to change your mind later is really not too bad. I'm not sure if Getaway's hold their value as well as Hobie TIs but if they do then it really doesn't matter which one you choose because changing over in a few months shouldn't be too much impact on your finances.

Hope that helps

Thats exactly what I was telling my wife the other day. I am going to wait until the winter to try and find a used unit with tramps and a trailer for a decent price, if not I will buy new. As for fishing camping etc., thats a big possibility. I think we would use the TI way more since I can use it in my local creeks and rivers and the only place to use the getaway is an hour away. The only thing that concerns me is the wet butt on the TI from what I have been reading. I would love to use the unit for camping on the river in the winter time but dont really want to be riding around with a wet rear all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn:
Actually it's the AI that has the wet butt, the TI if you have spray skirts you actually stay pretty dry. I also have a 1 inch thick foam pad under my seats mostly because the seats are a little hard if your out a long time, and the foam pad keeps me above any small amount of water that might get into the seat pocket, it usually drains by itself thru the drain holes (if you remember to open them). The only exception to that is if you are running the TI over weight capacity (3-4 adults on board), or the seas are very rough.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Both are great boats.
Getaways are just just geared down Cats BUT can be peaked and tweaked to fly!
I lean to Ai / TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BHAzDPW5So

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn:
If you do end up getting a TI, you can do something like I did to stay dry, and be a little more comfortable on long trips. I just took old Lobster catch mesh bags ( available at any scuba shop) and an old pool mattress (or any foam material). I just cut the old pool mattress to fit and slipped it into the bag along with the seat bottom, then zipped the bag shut. It actually works great, and because the bag was longer, I folded the extra material inside out and it becomes a great place to store all my charts.

With cushions along with a spray skirt, the TI is actually very dry.

Or something like Tom Kirkman just posted, which also looks like a good idea, here is his video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urysxgvlv4M )

. He posted it in the AI mini mods thread ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=48115).

Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
av8erdunn:
If you do end up getting a TI, you can do something like I did to stay dry, and be a little more comfortable on long trips. I just took old Lobster catch mesh bags ( available at any scuba shop) and an old pool mattress (or any foam material). I just cut the old pool mattress to fit and slipped it into the bag along with the seat bottom, then zipped the bag shut. It actually works great, and because the bag was longer, I folded the extra material inside out and it becomes a great place to store all my charts.

With cushions along with a spray skirt, the TI is actually very dry.

Or something like Tom Kirkman just posted, which also looks like a good idea, here is his video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urysxgvlv4M )

. He posted it in the AI mini mods thread ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=48115).

Good luck
Bob

That's a great idea!! I am going to go with the TI but I want to find a slightly used unit with a trailer and tramps already installed. I know this is going to be a long search and I may have to drive 1000 miles but it would be worth it. If it takes too long to find one, I will go with a new one. I have a guy coming to look at my motor coach this weekend so I am hoping to have cash in hand next week. :)
Thanks for y'all's input, its much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The words needle and haystack spring to mind! :mrgreen: People sell AIs to buy TIs, but the only major reason why someone would sell a TI is to upgrade to a newer one, but there is so little difference between even earlier ones and new ones that there is very little incentive to upgrade, in my opinion. Still good luck, you never know, there might be someone out there who is not thrilled to bits with their TI! :lol: :lol: :lol: